There are 4 users in the forums

Giants Off-season Moves/Freeagency (Post Panda signing with Boston)

I've been meaning to start a thread on our possible off-season moves.

Anyhow, by now everyone knows that Pablo has signed a 5-year $100 million deal with the Boston Red Sox [UPDATED 11/25/14: It turns out, that it was a 5 year deal at $95 million with an option for a sixth year]. This is significant because our front office held off on negotiations with other players until the Pablo deal was settled.

With Pablo leaving, our needs are: a left fielder, a starting pitcher or two, a 3rd baseman and another relief pitcher.

Our key free agents are: Sergio Romo, Vogelsong, Peavy, and Morse.

Rumored free agents that we have been rumored to sign in the event that Pablo leaves are: Jon Lester, Chase Headley, Torii Hunter and some intriguing Cuban prospects (Yasmany Tomas and 19 year old Yoan Moncada).

Unfortunately our farm system has seen better days. I read that our starting rotation pitching prospects are still a few years away from being able to contribute in the majors and we don't really have too many position players that can make a significant impact.

Please just add any players if I have left any off.
[ Edited by DefSikGiant on Nov 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM ]
With Pablo, I just wanted to add that the Giants apparently offered 5 years and $95 million, with the shot to go up and match the Red Sox $100 million.

But I guess, he was sold on Boston not because of the money but because he can DH 2-3 years down the road.

In all honesty, I think he was a little hurt by the criticism he has endured regarding his weight as well as the 3 year $40 million contract the Giants offered him during spring training.

At the end of the day, he did help us win 3 WS Championships and he did what he felt he had to do for his future. I can't be mad at that, and wish him good luck.
Originally posted by DefSikGiant:
With Pablo, I just wanted to add that the Giants apparently offered 5 years and $95 million, with the shot to go up and match the Red Sox $100 million.

But I guess, he was sold on Boston not because of the money but because he can DH 2-3 years down the road.

In all honesty, I think he was a little hurt by the criticism he has endured regarding his weight as well as the 3 year $40 million contract the Giants offered him during spring training.

At the end of the day, he did help us win 3 WS Championships and he did what he felt he had to do for his future. I can't be mad at that, and wish him good luck.

When a team wins 3 WS championships in 5 years, it is going to lose a few players who were instrumental in those championships. At least Panda didn't sign with the Dodgers. I was afraid that might happen because the Dodgers were not going to re-sign Handley Ramirez (even though Ramirez plays a different infield position than Panda). Now go after Tomas, and our own FAs Sergio Romo and Ryan Vogelsong. Another starter would also be nice in case Matt Cain is not immediately ready or Timmy Lincecum doesn't return to form. Don't know how much interest there is in re-signing Jake Peavy.
Originally posted by semicolin:
When a team wins 3 WS championships in 5 years, it is going to lose a few players who were instrumental in those championships. At least Panda didn't sign with the Dodgers. I was afraid that might happen because the Dodgers were not going to re-sign Handley Ramirez (even though Ramirez plays a different infield position than Panda). Now go after Tomas, and our own FAs Sergio Romo and Ryan Vogelsong. Another starter would also be nice in case Matt Cain is not immediately ready or Timmy Lincecum doesn't return to form. Don't know how much interest there is in re-signing Jake Peavy.

I totally agree, that would've been painful if he had signed with the Dodgers. On a side note, it's interesting that Boston is planning on playing Hanley Ramirez at Left Field.

We definitely need another starting pitcher. We don't know how Cain will play after coming back from surgery nor do we know if Timmy can bounce back.
UPDATED 11/25/14: We have a meeting scheduled with Jon Lester next week.
-Also, add 3rd base coach to our list of needs, as Flannery has stepped down and has decided to retire (we'll probably promote someone from within the organization anyway).

I was thinking the same thing about Romo and Vogelsong being resigned. Peavy is a bit more complicated; I read an article that was written during the World Series in which he was talking about reuniting with Jon Lester in Chicago with the Cubs. He was saying that they would be a package deal. Now I don't know about the validity of the article or in what context he was speaking (he could have been joking), but I thought it was a bad look to be talking about your future plans when you're in the middle of playing in the World Series. Plus, his World Series performances were pretty horrible.

There are conflicting reports about our interest in Tomas; there are reports that we are going after him and reports that Sabean wouldn't consider it. I'm not sure what to think...I do know that the whole international bidding process was changed and the right to negotiate with him goes to the top bidders (if not the top bidder). I forgot to mention Daniel Carbonell in my first post, he has pretty good upside and may get a call up next season.
[ Edited by DefSikGiant on Nov 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM ]
First things first: raise your hands if you saw Joe Panik coming. I didn't. And I follow the Giants farm system somewhat closely. I knew the kid had talent, but also believed in reports that he was a year or two away from being ready for the Big Show.

Oh, and by the way, you haven't seen the best of Panik yet. Just wait till next year.

I disagree with the conclusion that our farm system had seen "better days." It's true there is no one at the Triple A level who is ready to help us. But we're positively LOADED with talent in the Single and Double A levels. The rookie squad is also impressive.

That said? I am going to put my trust in Sabean, Baer and the rest of the executive branch that has guided this team. They might know something we don't. What about Duffy at third? Someone else at Single or Double A level? Susac? We get Sanchez back next year. What do we do with a talent like Susac? Send him back down? After the season he had? Bad idea.

Bottom line is the answer may indeed come from our farm system, just as Panik did. We may not know the kid yet. So, while I hate the thought of losing Panda, that train has departed. I am not so sure we need to blow money on a free agent with the talent we have in reserve.
I think maybe at some point sooner rather than later they should look into trading Hector Sanchez. He has been decent in the past, but I think he may have all but lost his job to Susac. Maybe its too early to say that, but Susac looks like a good player. And Hector Sanchez deserves to play somewhere rather than just sit or be stuck in the minors. Also, a switch hitting catcher who has shown some power and also some ability to hit for average at times in recent seasons could be a valuable trade piece for them to get maybe a quality reliever or something. I think its a waste to the Giants and a waste to Hector as a player to keep him around unless somehow he regains his backup role and they find something else to do with Susac. Move to 3rd? Last time they moved a catcher to 3rd base, I think it worked out pretty well
I totally agree, that would've been painful if he had signed with the Dodgers. On a side note, it's interesting that Boston is planning on playing Hanley Ramirez at Left Field.

We definitely need another starting pitcher. We don't know how Cain will play after coming back from surgery nor do we know if Timmy can bounce back.
-Also, add 3rd base coach to our list of needs, as Flannery has stepped down and has decided to retire (we'll probably promote someone from within the organization anyway).

I was thinking the same thing about Romo and Vogelsong being resigned. Peavy is a bit more complicated; I read an article that was written during the World Series in which he was talking about reuniting with Jon Lester in Chicago with the Cubs. He was saying that they would be a package deal. Now I don't know about the validity of the article or in what context he was speaking (he could have been joking), but I thought it was a bad look to be talking about your future plans when you're in the middle of playing in the World Series. Plus, his World Series performances were pretty horrible.

There are conflicting reports about our interest in Tomas; there are reports that we are going after him and reports that Sabean wouldn't consider it. I'm not sure what to think...I do know that the whole international bidding process was changed and the right to negotiate with him goes to the top bidders (if not the top bidder). I forgot to mention Daniel Carbonell in my first post, he has pretty good upside and may get a call up next season.

I'm glad he didn't sign with the dodgers or the yankees. I cannot stand the yankees almost as much as the dodgers. Also glad he didn't go to the Padres.

As for signing Vogelsong, I think I would be ok with them getting him back if he didn't ask for too much. He is basically a #5 now and sometimes you don't know what youre gonna get out of him. That said, he had some good performances last season and he also had some absolutely horrendous run support that make his numbers look a lot worse than they maybe should have. I read that he felt he had either something to prove, or some unfinished business with the Giants so maybe he would be willing to come back for cheap. To me, he was close to having a decent year for a #4 or 5 starter.

Peavy....during the end of the season and beginning of playoffs I was all for re-signing Peavy especially because they gave up some good prospects to get him. And without him, the Giants don't make the playoffs. But....after his performances in the World Series I'm not so sure. I know it's hard to completely judge a guy's performance in those situations because the leash on him is so short and who knows if it was regular season he stays in those games and maybe pitches out of it. Anyways, he was awful given the situations he was pitching in. And I'm sure he would ask for a 3 year deal for too much $ than he is worth. Not to mention his dream of reuniting with Jon Lester on the Cubs during the World Series. Hopefully we will get Lester anyways, so Peavy will miss his reunion.
[ Edited by SFGiant49ers on Nov 28, 2014 at 3:39 AM ]
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:

Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
I'm glad he didn't sign with the dodgers or the yankees. I cannot stand the yankees almost as much as the dodgers. Also glad he didn't go to the Padres.

As for signing Vogelsong, I think I would be ok with them getting him back if he didn't ask for too much. He is basically a #5 now and sometimes you don't know what youre gonna get out wof him. That said, he had some good performances last season and he also had some absolutely horrendous run support that make his numbers look a lot worse than they maybe should have. I read that he felt he had either something to prove, or some unfinished business with the Giants so maybe he would be willing to come back for cheap. To me, he was close to having a decent year for a #4 or 5 starter.

Peavy....during the end of the season and beginning of playoffs I was all for re-signing Peavy especially because they gave up some good prospects to get him. And without him, the Giants don't make the playoffs. But....after his performances in the World Series I'm not so sure. I know it's hard to completely judge a guy's performance in those situations because the leash on him is so short and who knows if it was regular season he stays in those games and maybe pitches out of it. Anyways, he was awful given the situations he was pitching in. And I'm sure he would ask for a 3 year deal for too much $ than he is worth. Not to mention his dream of reuniting with Jon Lester on the Cubs during the World Series. Hopefully we will get Lester anyways, so Peavy will miss his reunion.

After the way Sabean whiffed on Zito, I can't see him shelling out huge free agent $$$ for any pitcher. Besides, the formula for winning championships has been well established. The Giants didn't buy those trophies. The Giants grew their own. The Giants have never been big free agent players. Don't expect that to change, even with the loss of Panda.
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Nov 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM ]
One approach we could also take would be, although Bochy probably says nay, would be to love Posey to 3B and give Susac 3-4 guys in the rotation. This gives Sanchez a chance to prove himself which would either give us a great catching square or could boost his trade value for a LF or pitcher....... Then work Duffy into a utility guy and plug him at any infield position so we're not ONLY stuck with Arias every time. this gives us more money for a pitcher or two and a decent LF. We also will need a 4 hitter so bringing Morse back might not be a bad idea. I think he likes it here.
Yeah that doesn't sound like a bad idea either. It would solve our 3B problem from within. I don't know if its more Posey saying nay, or Bochy. It would be interesting to see how much range Buster would have at third though. You would think he could be just as good if not better than Sandoval was over there, but who knows. I wouldn't mind seeing Morse come back, I liked him. Wish he was a bit faster of a runner though. It sucks that he isn't that good defensively. If Belt wasn't so good at 1B I think the best option would be move Belt to LF and give Morse the time at 1B. Who knows. It will be an interesting offseason I just hope we can get someone good to fill some of our holes in the lineup/field
Still kinda ticked by the Panda loss. It will be kind of strange seeing him in another uniform.
Lester visiting the G's today
As much as I loved Panda I'm really glad we aren't responsible for that contract he got. I think it's far too much money for a player who we know can be incredible but has only shown it in flashes. If feel much better putting that money into a pitcher. If not Lester then someone along those lines. We can make this situation work without him. The only thing that upsets me is they're keeping the Panda nickname. Living in LA I had to go the whole "fear the beard" thing with just different colors......
Glad to see that the Giants haven't tossed a boatload of moola at Lester. I think the team may be exploring trade options right now. We need pitching, yes. But we also need a power bat and there ain't much out there in free agency...
As much as I loved Panda I'm mad that he left even though the Giants offered the same if not more $$ than the red sox. But at the same time can't blame him if he truly just wanted a different experience somewhere else. Still makes me mad tho. I bought an authentic Sandoval Giants jersey with a world series patch on the sleeve. Now I wont wanna wear it anymore..