There are 5 users in the forums

Frandsen feels sting of Giants' latest trade

Frandsen feels sting of Giants' latest trade

The loneliest man in the Fresno Grizzlies clubhouse Wednesday afternoon slouched on the arm of a leather couch with his legs crossed.

As the broadcast of new Giants second baseman Freddy Sanchez's news conference played on an overhead TV, Kevin Frandsen's teammates quietly slipped away, partly out of respect for his feelings and to leave him with his thoughts.

The trade that brought three-time All-Star Sanchez from Pittsburgh to San Francisco was a crushing blow for Frandsen, who opened spring training competing for the Giants' starting second-base job.

This bad news might have gotten to Frandsen, who lost his temper and was pulled from the game by manager Dan Rohn after flying out to end the second inning of Fresno's 5-4 victory over Colorado Springs at Chukchansi Park.

Frandsen threw his bat in frustration after making the third out. As Frandsen removed his hitting gear, first-base coach Hensley Meulens stared him down and pointed to the dugout. Frandsen left the field and was replaced by Jake Wald at shortstop.

Said Rohn: "I don't want to talk about disciplining my players."

Sanchez, the 2006 National League batting champ, is expected to own second base for years to come, basically making expendable Frandsen and Matt Downs, Fresno's middle infielders.

The two Grizzlies were given a chance to shine during short stints with San Francisco. Frandsen batted .128 in 16 games and Downs .170 in 17 games.

Asked before the game whether he had been given a fair shot, Frandsen said: "No. That's how I felt [after the second of three demotions] and I still feel the same. I don't know. It is what it is."

Those were the last remarks he chose to make. As Sanchez's news conference played on, Frandsen retired to his locker, sat on a metal chair and began to fiddle with his shoelaces.

The deal sent Double-A pitcher Tim Alderson to the Pirates.

"I feel bad for our guys," Rohn said before the game. "Sanchez adds another proven bat to the lineup, but now the Giants have an All-Star ahead of them. Unfortunately, the ones we sent up didn't do anything there and forced the Giants to make a move to solidify the ballclub."

Where this leaves Frandsen, he isn't saying. He was a top contender at second base last year, but ruptured his Achilles tendon early and sat out the season.

Last month, after the Giants sent Frandsen down, he mentioned the option of 29 other major league teams in the market for quality players. A trade still could happen. The nonwaiver deadline is Friday.

"You always have to keep in mind that you can play for any other team," said Grizzlies All-Star pitcher Kevin Pucetas, also mentioned in trade rumors.

"This is a crazy time. I was just pitching with Alderson in San Jose last year and now he's with the Pirates. You just try to stay away from the rumors and stay close with your teammates."

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/griz...y/1566204.html
Frandsen hit .128 over three stints with the Giants. Although he had only 39 at-bats, Sabean said that the quality of those at-bats was not good and that the Giants gave all internal second-base candidates a fair chance before acquiring Sanchez.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0Mr8rTPK8
I must be blind, I completely disagree with Sabean on that one.

I for one do think Frandsen was given a poor shot to make this team, but I dislike his attitude right now about it
I had high hopes for Franny last season before he got injured, but did he really expect to get the job HANDED to him? He really has to prove that he can make it in the big leagues. I know he hasn't had a fair shot, but they did the same thing with him, Burris, Downs, and Velez. So far, Velez got demoted, worked hard to get promoted again, and suddenly he's provided a huge spark within our offense. Something Franny couldn't do.
Yeah even now if he gets hot he might still have a chance, maybe not as a starter but if he works hard and can get hot kinda like Velez then there can always be room for him.

Injuries happen and he can get playing time, but by *****ing and moaning he isn't going to get very far.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I must be blind, I completely disagree with Sabean on that one.

I for one do think Frandsen was given a poor shot to make this team, but I dislike his attitude right now about it

I agree with the last part. Frandsen needs to understand that he is not a star player and if he can contribute in any way to this team as a utility player or a backup ss then he needs to shut up, improve his hitting and hope another opportunity comes his way. It's not like he is a prized prospect where he will have a lot of other teams wanting him.
Originally posted by Giantjohn:
I agree with the last part. Frandsen needs to understand that he is not a star player and if he can contribute in any way to this team as a utility player or a backup ss then he needs to shut up, improve his hitting and hope another opportunity comes his way. It's not like he is a prized prospect where he will have a lot of other teams wanting him.

I like the fire though. I don't want a player that is happy being in AAA. Plus I agree with him. Id rather him start and keep Alderson than have Sanchez
Giants are in the midst of a race for the playoffs. They don't have the luxury of time now to see these young guys prove their worth and ability. That's why the trigger was pulled for Garko and Sanchez.

No sympathy, that's just the nature of the business.
I think someone needs a hug.