There are 8 users in the forums

Block the Dodgers

The Giants need to block the Dodgers attempt in getting a pitcher, through any trade. No matter how small a move...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/los_an...ers/index.html
I agree they need to put a waiver claim on both Doug Davis and Jon Garland from the Arizona Dimondbacks. Doug Davis becomes a FA after this year and there is a 2010 mutual option on Jon Garland's contract. Both would fit nicely as a #5 for us down the stretch.

With that said the Giants should not trade anything for them. If the DBacks want to dump their contracts on us then we take them for no other reason than prevent the Dodgers from obtaining these pitchers.
  • crzy
Can anybody post the contracts of Garland and Davis?
You can find the information right here

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...dbacks_10.html
Originally posted by GiantDave:
I agree they need to put a waiver claim on both Doug Davis and Jon Garland from the Arizona Dimondbacks. Doug Davis becomes a FA after this year and there is a 2010 mutual option on Jon Garland's contract. Both would fit nicely as a #5 for us down the stretch.

With that said the Giants should not trade anything for them. If the DBacks want to dump their contracts on us then we take them for no other reason than prevent the Dodgers from obtaining these pitchers.

I would look at Davis if Arizona wants to dump the salary and the Giants dont have to trade anything. As you say he could be a good #5.

Garland.. forget about it. I never liked the guy and think his price would be too great .
Giant John I certainly see your point with Jon Garland

He makes $7.25 M this year all though the Giant would only have to pick up a fraction of that but the 2010 mutual option is messy where the Giants would have to buy out his contract for $2.5M unless they want to pay him $10M for next year.

Jon Garland would not have a big impact for us but he would if he made it to the Dodgers.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/...ayer_id=279782

His ERA is 4.33 and WHIP is 1.41 the one stat which would be disturbing is opponent batting average .281

He still would make a decent #5 starter on our team. I don't know how much the Giants are willing to add in regards to salary. I do know the Dodgers are desperate for starting pitchers and even though its pricey the Giants can get rid of Garland after the 2009 season. Right now even a mediocre player like Garland would be a difference maker for a team like the Dodgers. Besides all Garland has do for the Dodgers is throw 6 quality innings and they have a bullpen which could take care of the last three. All though it is starting to look like the bullpen arms down there are starting to get tired.

Again I wouldn't trade any players to get either one of these pitchers but if the Giants can take on salary it would be worth putting a waiver claim on either one of them just so the Dodgers don't help at their weakest contraint.
I see that Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang both cleared waivers so the Dodgers could work out a trade for a player that would give the same production as Jon Garland. As a result this would defeat my argument that the Giants should put a waiver claim on Jon Garland. The buy out for his mutual option is $2.5M for 2010 plus the prorated part of the $7.5M salary would be quite a lot to pay. Putting a waiver claim on Doug Davis still would a good idea. His salary for this year is 8.75M, we would be responsible for the prorated part of this season and his contract expires at the end of the season.

In other words the dollar amount which it would cost the Giants would be these amounts.

With 111 games in the books there would be 51 games left so the Giants would be responsible for 51/162 of the contract.

Doug Davis would cost the Giants $2,755,000 (Rounding to the nearest thousand )

Jon Garland would cost the Giants $4,861,000 (Including the $2.5M Mutual Buyout Option)
If a change of scenery would help either Davis or Garland, I am all for claiming one of them to be the number 5.
Originally posted by GiantDave:
I see that Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang both cleared waivers so the Dodgers could work out a trade for a player that would give the same production as Jon Garland. As a result this would defeat my argument that the Giants should put a waiver claim on Jon Garland. The buy out for his mutual option is $2.5M for 2010 plus the prorated part of the $7.5M salary would be quite a lot to pay. Putting a waiver claim on Doug Davis still would a good idea. His salary for this year is 8.75M, we would be responsible for the prorated part of this season and his contract expires at the end of the season.

In other words the dollar amount which it would cost the Giants would be these amounts.

With 111 games in the books there would be 51 games left so the Giants would be responsible for 51/162 of the contract.

Doug Davis would cost the Giants $2,755,000 (Rounding to the nearest thousand )

Jon Garland would cost the Giants $4,861,000 (Including the $2.5M Mutual Buyout Option)

Dave.. I just do not think Garland is worth that kind of money. As you point out opposing teams are hitting .281 against him. He has always been the kind of guy that gives up a lot of hits. I think it would be a mistake to claim him as we might just get stuck with him and that contract.

You cant block the Dodgers from getting a SP as there are simply too many that will be out there for the taking. I am pretty sure that they will get Arroyo, Harang, Davis, or some other high priced veteran pitcher.
I just think the last thing the Giants should be doing now is taking on a high contract if there is any type of option for next year.
Originally posted by BigRon:
If a change of scenery would help either Davis or Garland, I am all for claiming one of them to be the number 5.

I guess the money doesnt matter or the fact that Garland has pretty much sucked doesnt matter? I'm sure that change of scenery will totally turn him around. LOL Are you sure you arent Brian Sabean in disguise?
dont you mean the Giants should NOT stop these pitchers from going to LA, so we can hammer them?

Doug Davis and Jon Garland blow. both have WHIPs over 1.40
John

After doing more research as you saw in my last post Garland would not be worth putting a waiver claim on. Doug Davis on the other hand would be worth it. On a bad team Davis would be a #3 and on most good teams a #4. When analyzing the stats Davis is clearly the better and cheaper pitcher than Garland. I do agree with you now that I did my research we should not take on any commitments which would cost the Giants money in 2010 on the exception of Jermaine Dye but that won't happen.
Rumor Doug Davis on waivers

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...oltz-webb.html

if so claim him
Doug Davis Claimed On Waivers
By Eddie Schmid [August 12, 2009 at 8:50pm CST]

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Diamondbacks lefty Doug Davis has been claimed by an unknown team.

Davis has been named as a candidate to be moved much of the recent past. Heyman speculates that the claiming team could be the Brewers, as they've been having a "pro-active day." Davis made comments earlier today saying that he doubted the D'backs were planning to negotiate on an extension and called a trade to a contender a "win-win" situation for him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...n-waivers.html