There are 3 users in the forums

Bowker claims Triple-A honor

Giants outfielder John Bowker, who led the Minor Leagues with a .451 on-base percentage, was named Thursday to the Topps Triple-A All-Star team.

Bowker, 26, led the Pacific Coast League and ranked second among full-season Minor Leaguers with a .342 batting average for the Fresno Grizzlies. That included a .414 average (41-for-99) with runners in scoring position. Bowker, who also made the PCL All-Star team, amassed 21 home runs, 22 doubles, four triples and 83 RBIs.

Most of us forget about bowker, when we think of upgrading our outfield. Not saying he will be an answer, but I sure hope he does well this spring training. If we could only get rid of rowand, that would help so much. Bad rowand, he's a bad man.

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=sf
We don't forget about Bowker. Most of us don't think his hitting can translate into the major leagues. If he is to succeed at the MLB level, he will need to be with a coach and a team that can afford to take a chance on starting him from day 1. It would need to be a team that has quality hitters around him. The Giants are not that team. Trade the kid while he may have some value.
maybe theres some hope for him still ? =]
Originally posted by BigRon:
We don't forget about Bowker. Most of us don't think his hitting can translate into the major leagues. If he is to succeed at the MLB level, he will need to be with a coach and a team that can afford to take a chance on starting him from day 1. It would need to be a team that has quality hitters around him. The Giants are not that team. Trade the kid while he may have some value.

I believe this spring training, if he is still with us will be the breaking point. I mean, if he can be used in a trade to bring a player with some OBP smarts, then maybe. But, remember the hitting coach we brought up, is the same guy who helped bowker get his act together, and the results were quite good. I don't mean the tiny part time sample in the majors, but his triple -A numbers. Hopefully he can guide him well in ST, and he can be the next Will Clark (hitting), and not the next todd linden.

And, yes, I know bochy has a good chance of preventing bowker and our other young guys from succeeding, but maybe, just maybe he break through, even with bochy managing.
  • LUser
Originally posted by sf1giantfan:
I believe this spring training, if he is still with us will be the breaking point. I mean, if he can be used in a trade to bring a player with some OBP smarts, then maybe. But, remember the hitting coach we brought up, is the same guy who helped bowker get his act together, and the results were quite good. I don't mean the tiny part time sample in the majors, but his triple -A numbers. Hopefully he can guide him well in ST, and he can be the next Will Clark (hitting), and not the next todd linden.

And, yes, I know bochy has a good chance of preventing bowker and our other young guys from succeeding, but maybe, just maybe he break through, even with bochy managing.

I see Bowker being on the 25 man after spring training. Rowand, Velez, Nate, and perhaps Freddy will be the 5th.

Obviously he is at the top of the PCL and it's time to prove hes a ML'er or a 4-A player. The problem with the Giants and there younger players is pointed out above in this thread by the memtion that other than Sandoval who has 1+ year under his belt and now Sanchez there are NO proven major leauge hitters on the current roster.

Rent and Rowand were embrassments all 2nd half as they dueled each other for the 8 spot in the order. THOSE are the vetrans you are building around here. They are more holes in the order than competent, and grossly overpaid for their "production".

Putting Bowker in a lineup that includes those guys would be weakening his protection, and asking him to produce the inflated power numbers of the PCL at ATT against a diet of Major League pitching is like throwing the 5 year old in the deep end.

Asking him to be Will Clark is great in Spring but remember Ishikawa lead the team in HR's last year and how did that work out? To my eyes Sandoval is the ONLY thing MLB worthy in the projected starting line-up as of today. Without another proven commodity around him pitchers will pick apart guys like Bowker and the rest and Panda will get to flail at garbage at get more semi-intentional passes than Barry ever did.
I would love to see Bowker produce. Same as Ishikawa. I am one of the few who believes in Ishi. I would like to believe in Bowker.
  • LUser
Originally posted by BigRon:
I would love to see Bowker produce. Same as Ishikawa. I am one of the few who believes in Ishi. I would like to believe in Bowker.

I had hopes for Ishi going into last year but other than the flashes he showed in his first call-up in 2006 he hasn't shown the ability to put together consistant AB's in the Bigs.

As the best defensively I wish he could mature because I do see some tools there.

I think they should give JT the job in spring to just to concentrate on him.

While never a huge power guy he was a late bloomer who had a knack for finding ways to maximize the parks. Obviously he benefitted from the surrounding talent but he used the right field area of candlestick while there and found the little wind alley in left at ATT to the Bud Light sign too. He would backspin about 5 oppo. HRs a year to that spot every year.

I don't think he or Garko can hit 25 hrs playing 1/2 time at ATT. Maybe not even between them in 800 at bats.

We haven't had a true POWER guy at 1st since Stretch. It doesn't seem to bother the organization at all.