There are 2 users in the forums

Some concerns about our roster/next year etc.

I'm actually copy/pasting this from a post I made on the giants thread on the webzone, I could be totally wrong on a few points, but here goes:

I'm looking at everyone's numbers for last year and their careers, some observations:

Why in the hell are we paying Rentawreck 9 million per year? He never hit more than 16 homers in a season, and he had 1 year with 100 RBIs and a few with 70, but the last 3 years he's had between 48(last year) and 50ish. So I think regardless of the bone chips in his elbow, he's just not that good any more. We're not getting 100 RBIs out of this guy or anything close to that and we're paying him that much money?

Why are we letting Uribe go and not paying him anything? I don't think a 2 year deal for like 4 mill per is that much, then again I'm no baseball expert, but before his last year with the whitesox, he had atleast 16 home runs and 68 RBIs in four seasons straight. Then he was a huge part of our offense when we gave him consistent at bats, like we actually let the guy play, and he gives us 16 HRs and 55 RBIs, but we can't find any cash for him? We need to keep him around, he's not that old and he can hit the ball, his OBP was better than Winn, Rowand, Rentawreck, Bengie, Garko, and Freddie Sanchez, and all of those guys played a lot when they were available/for most of the season, and we're keeping some of those guys, and yeah I know he doesn't play the same spots as some of those guys, but it's nauseating we're keeping Rowand and Rentawreck and letting this guy go, not to mention his slugging percentage or whatever it is was better than everyone besides Pablo and Torres. He was one of our better hitters and we're letting him go for nothing.

3rd, we get all these guys like Winn(yeah he's gone now) who wasn't a big home run guy, we get Sanchez who definitely isn't and never has been a home run guy, we traded a pretty good prospect for Garko who aside from 1 year wasn't a power guy really, Rentawreck never had more than 16 home runs in a season and he's a couple years removed from that season, but we don't play small ball? What the heck? We weren't good at bunting, and we didn't do it very much, and we didn't have good plate discipline, these guys hacked away liked they were swinging for the fences, but we didn't have any guys besides Pablo and maybe Bengie who could really hit homers anyway. What the heck? If we're going to play like that then we need to bring in guys who can hit the ball out of the park. I don't understand why we don't do what our players are supposed to be good at?

Now I'll admit, I'm panicking sort of, and I'm definitely not a baseball expert and I never will be and I never played and I've only been watching off and on a few seasons, not consistently until last year, but am I right to be concerned about a lot of these things? I now understand why everyone wanted Sabean gone. He appears to have overpaid on crappy players like Rowand/Rentawreck, meanwhile we let our own bargains get away.
All we can do with Renteria is hope he contributes. The contract is a given, just like Zito and Rowand. IMO, it does no good to keep going over how bad the deal is. With Renteria, I'm just hoping his struggles last year were because of him being injured, which is a fact. His elbow wasn't right.

I'm not as optimistic on Rowand. He has shown me nothing. He's a bad hitter with very little plate discipline. I don't know what to expect from him, except that he'll be on the team in all likelihood.

And I agree on the point about smallball. Bochy seems unwilling to play to what little strengths this team has on offense. Last year, I felt like everyone outside of Pablo and Bengie should have been bunting with a guy on first. We're a team that can win games with 3-4 runs because of our pitching staff. Yet we pass on those opportunities in hopes of what? The long ball? Not likely. Hopefully Bochy is a little more flexible next season.

It's gonna be interesting to see what we do. I've posed this question on the other board and nobody seems to have an answer. If the fans are not interested in spending for the big names (Holliday, Bay) and not interested in some of the fringe FA's (N.Johnson, Dye), then who should we target?
Originally posted by SacRock14:
All we can do with Renteria is hope he contributes. The contract is a given, just like Zito and Rowand. IMO, it does no good to keep going over how bad the deal is. With Renteria, I'm just hoping his struggles last year were because of him being injured, which is a fact. His elbow wasn't right.

I'm not as optimistic on Rowand. He has shown me nothing. He's a bad hitter with very little plate discipline. I don't know what to expect from him, except that he'll be on the team in all likelihood.

And I agree on the point about smallball. Bochy seems unwilling to play to what little strengths this team has on offense. Last year, I felt like everyone outside of Pablo and Bengie should have been bunting with a guy on first. We're a team that can win games with 3-4 runs because of our pitching staff. Yet we pass on those opportunities in hopes of what? The long ball? Not likely. Hopefully Bochy is a little more flexible next season.

It's gonna be interesting to see what we do. I've posed this question on the other board and nobody seems to have an answer. If the fans are not interested in spending for the big names (Holliday, Bay) and not interested in some of the fringe FA's (N.Johnson, Dye), then who should we target?

I don't know who we should target. I'm a big fan of going for Jermaine Dye because he could give us 20 home runs probably, and a bunch of RBIs, even though he's not good defensively. But atleast it's some offensive output. I remember someone on the webzone compared him to Fred Lewis defensively, the only difference is Dye actually hits and Freddy Lewis doesn't. I'm not crazy about Johnson because his health has been iffy and he's only been above 20 HRs once in his career.

I agree with you about Rowand man. I remember for the first month or 2 he was pretty hot, and then every game after that he was awful. Unfortunately like you said he's on the team. He's a pretty good defender though, atleast I thought he was, so that's nice, but when you're as awful as he was during the second half that doesn't really make up for it IMO.

On one hand I think that our offense should get better with addition by subtraction of guys like Winn, but then when you lose Bengie and Uribe you lose like 36 home runs and 100 RBIs or something like that. We're going to be a whole lot worse IMO without having those guys. Because you look at it and Renteria isn't a good hitter, Rowands even worse, Whiteside or whoever the catcher will be(since supposedly they say Posey probably won't be ready to play) won't make up for what we lose in Bengie, and Ishi at first base doesn't do anything either. I'm interested to see how Velez and Schierholtz do all year, especially Velez I became a big fan of his.

I really think if we just keep Uribe, and make him an every day player, that could really help our offense. I remember he replaced Renteria after his health declined, and he really produced. And he had a stretch of 4 seasons where he had atleast 16 HRs and 68 RBIs before 2 years ago, and he had 16 HRs in limited playing time this year. But since we gave out these crappy contracts to Renteria and Rowand(I don't mind the one to Zito anymore because he's solid now), now we can't afford to keep guys like Uribe or spend on anyone that'd actually deserve the money they're making. I really don't think a line up with Uribe, F. Sanchez, Velez, Schierholtz, Pablo, would really be that bad. Then if we can pick up a solid hitter we'd probably be fine. But I dunno if Velez will get to play enough and we probably aren't keeping Uribe, Rowand sucks, Renteria sucks, Ishi can't hit, and we're probably going to downgrade our production from the catcher spot, so our offense will probably be even worse.
I am for blowing the thing up and starting over with a core of Timmy, Cain, Wilson, Affleldt, Bumgarner, Sandoval, F Sanchez and Posey. We have nice defensive relacements in Ishi, Rowand and Nate. I like Uribe off the bench.

We need so much more. We really need to look beyond our current crop of 2nd tier talent, if they are even that.
I am for blowing the thing up and starting over with a core of Timmy, Cain, Wilson, Affleldt, Bumgarner, Sandoval, F Sanchez and Posey. We have nice defensive relacements in Ishi, Rowand and Nate. I like Uribe off the bench.

We need so much more. We really need to look beyond our current crop of 2nd tier talent, if they are even that.
Originally posted by BigRon:

Yeah but how can we blow it up while keeping all of our good players lol? I mean I'm not an expert in baseball, but generally in basketball or football blowing it up means dealing your good vets or guys in their prime for young players with potential. All of our good players that have any trade value are young for the most part. I mean when the Kings blew it up, they got rid of Artest, Bibby, Peja, Webber, over a period of 3-4 years. When the TWolves blew it up, they shipped KG out and Wally out and Cassel was gone over like 2 years. When the 9ers blew it up we got rid of Garcia, TO, JP, Andre Carter, etc. over 1-2 years so we'd have "salary cap space". You just said we want to keep Sandoval, Lincecum, Cain, Wilson, MadBum, Sanchez(both Sanchezs right?), Posey, etc. The guys we want gone are Rentawreck, Rowand, etc. Nobody's going to trade for those guys. Winn is gone. Bengie's gone even though I'd have liked to have him back if Posey isn't ready. For the most part are only option is to sign some guys while our farm system guys get better IMO. If we can get Jermaine Dye on the cheap and he can provide some hitting, or we can get Beltre(who Sabean supposedly doesn't want because he plays 3B), we can get enough hitting probably to win some games for our pitching line up. But we just need to add a few guys. Some of our minor leaguers are supposed to be pretty good right?
  • LUser
Originally posted by BigRon:

Too late to "blow it up" You just gave Sabes and Boch 2 more years for their value to the team!

Blowing it up required them going 1st. Now you HAVE TO "stay the course", build around our "youthful core",
play solid defense and grind out runs and wins.

It's the Giant's Way.

Mays, McCovey, Evans, Mitch, Matt, Bonds, All the HR's and MVP's that came to signify GIANTS, Not anymore.