There are 3 users in the forums

Penny, Uribe turn down offers from Giants

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Right-hander Brad Penny and infielder Juan Uribe have turned down one-year contract offers to return to the San Francisco Giants.

General manager Brian Sabean said Friday the club made a one-year offer with incentives to Penny and a one-year offer with an option and buyout to Uribe, but both free agents declined. The Giants aren't in further talks with either player right now.

One of Sabean's top priorities heading into next week's winter meetings in Indianapolis is the catcher spot, but he acknowledged it could take a while for that position to get settled. Bengie Molina is a free agent and has said he wants a multiyear deal, but San Francisco has Buster Posey as its catcher of the future and doesn't plan to offer more than a one-year deal.
I expected this, from both of them. Although Uribe was good for us in 2009, he won't be as good in 2010 (just something I know). Uribe also wants a starting job, and the Giants can't offer him that, until we know how Rent performs in spring training. And Penny did his job for us, but was just using us, which is fine. We still have many more options to cover the 5th spot.

The way I see it, the infield will be like this:

1st base: Nick Johnson (Ish backup)

2nd base: Sanchez

3rd base: Pablo

SS: Rent (hopefully it was just injuries, that made him play so poorly. We are not going to sit a 9 Million guy)

In the outfield, like this perhaps:

RF: Nate/Bowker

CF: Cameron (hopefully we land him)

LF: Rowand (no choice )

Catcher: Pudge ? Posey won't be our starter in 2010, but hopefully will be sometime in 2010.
^^ That's not a bad prediction. Not saying it's ideal, but it's a little more realistic. I haven't heard too much about Cameron, but I'd guess he'd be a somewhat hot commodity. Definitely rather have Pudge than Ausmus.
id like rowand in center tho
Originally posted by Poncho707:
id like rowand in center tho

At this stage, cameron is better than rowand in CF. Move rowand to LF is our best option, besides trading him.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
^^ That's not a bad prediction. Not saying it's ideal, but it's a little more realistic. I haven't heard too much about Cameron, but I'd guess he'd be a somewhat hot commodity. Definitely rather have Pudge than Ausmus.

Yes, Ausmus would do as well. Whom ever would be willing to be a back-up after Posey comes up full time, has a better chance of playing for the Giants. And, of course the money thing that always gets in the way.
Originally posted by SacRock14:

Yes, Pudge over Ausmus, but he would do as well. Whom ever would be willing to be a back-up after Posey comes up full time, has a better chance of playing for the Giants. And, of course the money thing that always gets in the way.