There are 3 users in the forums

Ready to get burned?

• LUser
This link from MLB.COM senses we may be getting ready for an off-season signing and we have a history of getting deals done during the holidays.

Well since we KNOW a real Holliday won't be our present let's look at the rundown of those key signings.

Moises Alou
Edgardo Alphonso
Steve Finley
Barry Zito

Looks like I'm going to be checking in to see what new lump of coal Santa Sabe's is delivering this year.

Milton Bradley + Cash? Sorry, just went to the mariners for Carlos Silva.
It's not looking good. We will overpay for leftovers.
Originally posted by LUser:
This link from MLB.COM senses we may be getting ready for an off-season signing and we have a history of getting deals done during the holidays.

Well since we KNOW a real Holliday won't be our present let's look at the rundown of those key signings.

Moises Alou
Edgardo Alphonso
Steve Finley
Barry Zito

Looks like I'm going to be checking in to see what new lump of coal Santa Sabe's is delivering this year.

Milton Bradley + Cash? Sorry, just went to the mariners for Carlos Silva.

We should've tried to trade Rowand for Bradley+cash. It would have given us the money to make a move for a legit hitter even though Bradley's a pain in the ass.

Sabean will probably get freaking Mark DeRosa and overpay the crap out of him.
Giants' offseason has been a bore so far. I guess that is a good thing?
if it means, letting bowker ornate getting a shot to start, then yes, it is a good thing. If it means we will sign someone just to sign someone, like sabean has done in the past, then no it's not a good thing.

I'm still scared.
Originally posted by Ellen:
Giants' offseason has been a bore so far. I guess that is a good thing?

What I don't get is the Mariners have found ways to make moves without killing themselves, a few other teams have. Why can't sabean? Either he makes a horrible move or he doesn't make one at all, and neither of those wind up good for us
  • LUser
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
What I don't get is the Mariners have found ways to make moves without killing themselves, a few other teams have. Why can't sabean? Either he makes a horrible move or he doesn't make one at all, and neither of those wind up good for us

I think he is just not creative enough. That, or the new regime has taken the power of the purse away from him and must sign off on the money involved in whatever he considers.

Anything that involves trading current our contract albatrosses or signing a big $$ bat would require more thinking and goodwill than Sabean currently owns with other teams. If you look at it we really have only one team (Pirates) with which we have a recent history of trades. Other than C Ryan Doumit there isn't much left in their lineup as fars as ML ready talent at our need positions.

Clearly nothing significant will be done until they have a long term estimate on the cost of Lincecum and B-Weezy. Obviously it would be good to get Tim to agree to some sort of structured increases over a period of years the way the Phillies got Halladay. Hia agent says they only want a 1 year deal which will bridge the gap until they can get him beyond the teams control and into pure free-agency.

Since most clubs (other than the Giants with Benitez and Mets with K-Rod) don't break the bank for closers Wilson should not get a ton of money through arbitration and they probably won't have to go too deep in the pockets to keep him.

If they can't get Timmy to agree to a workable framework for 5 years + you can probably kiss him goodbye in 2012.
Originally posted by LUser:
I think he is just not creative enough. That, or the new regime has taken the power of the purse away from him and must sign off on the money involved in whatever he considers.

Anything that involves trading current our contract albatrosses or signing a big $$ bat would require more thinking and goodwill than Sabean currently owns with other teams. If you look at it we really have only one team (Pirates) with which we have a recent history of trades. Other than C Ryan Doumit there isn't much left in their lineup as fars as ML ready talent at our need positions.

Clearly nothing significant will be done until they have a long term estimate on the cost of Lincecum and B-Weezy. Obviously it would be good to get Tim to agree to some sort of structured increases over a period of years the way the Phillies got Halladay. Hia agent says they only want a 1 year deal which will bridge the gap until they can get him beyond the teams control and into pure free-agency.

Since most clubs (other than the Giants with Benitez and Mets with K-Rod) don't break the bank for closers Wilson should not get a ton of money through arbitration and they probably won't have to go too deep in the pockets to keep him.

If they can't get Timmy to agree to a workable framework for 5 years + you can probably kiss him goodbye in 2012.

We should give Timmy Zito money IMO. But if we can't get him long term atleast Mad Bum and Wheeler should be ready by then and we should be able to keep Cain. We need to make sure we surround these guys with some hitters and give them a reason to stay around long term. We need to build a winning situation players want to be a part of. Right now our only hitter is Pablo.