There are 3 users in the forums

Mark DeRosa

From MLBtraderumors.com

The Latest On Mark DeRosa
By Luke Adams [December 23, 2009 at 1:30pm CST]

The San Francisco Giants have offered Mark DeRosa a two-year deal worth $12MM, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter).

Heyman wonders if DeRosa, a New Jersey product who has previously played in Atlanta, is hoping for the Yankees, Mets, and Braves to enter the mix more aggressively. We heard earlier this week that the Braves and Yankees are both interested in DeRosa, though Atlanta's agreement with Troy Glaus would create one less opening in their lineup for DeRosa.

As for the Yankees, there has been some speculation that they only have about $4MM to spend on a left fielder. Given the Giants' offer of $6MM per season, DeRosa may be a little out of the Yanks' price range, but certainly the club has a history of working around apparent payroll restrictions.
thats not that bad
he wont produce worth it but its better than the usual sabes signings
He has to agree to the deal first. He's not the player I want but it could be worse I guess so whatever. Sabean freaking sucks.
  • LUser
Heymen blows more smoke than any other writer in the biz.

I think agents pay him for shilling their clients like this.

Notice it was only a "tweet". There are NO responsibilities to have sources or legitimate claims in twitters terms of use. He can spew out as many rumors as he want without any damage to his "rep".

I asked him in an email to quote a team source for a comment he made last year about the Giants being "way ahead of schedule in paying off the ballpark" and he admitted he didn't get that info from the team but another "insider".

The Giants don't have $6 mil left for Derosa or anyone else. The guy is a capable hitter and a versitile utility glove all over but 6 mil is for everyday 1 position players only. I doubt many GM's view him a holding down a regular position other than DH. Certainly not ones with the amount of needs as our team.

He would be great with a no pressure line-up around him but he'd be way over his head with the batting order we will be fielding.
He's a giant: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=54247

Sabean this better workout
  • LUser
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He's a giant: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=54247

Sabean this better workout

What would you consider "working out"?

I like Derosa as a solid player but I doubt he'll be a difference maker unless his habits rub-off on the rest of of the team. He is better signing than Rowand and Rent because of the $$ but it looks like another 2 year bide time deal on a budget while we evaluate the the GM on whether he's worth keeping.

If we could have had Molina back at 12 mil I would have preferred that, and filling in Posey where necessary and giving him a roster spot with the big league club for sure right now. I don't se him learning as much in AAA.

I think it weakens the defense if we move Pablo to 1st full-time, too. I'll have to see him play in Spring but he never looked comfortable there last year. He has the talent to overcome it, but he settled into third so well last year it seems a waste to have him learning a new position again this year.

If Derosa hits fifth what would you consider acceptable? .285, 22hrs and 95-105 rbi's?

Or .268, 22hrs, and 85 rbis.

I think he'll end up closer to the latter which means we have a more disciplined Pedro Feliz. He got 1 year and 4 mil from the Astros. Only he needs more talent around him than Derosa.

I would have signed Uribe for a lower salary for 1 year and used it to leverage Derosa and let him walk if he didn't want to sign for less. Sanchez, too.

I don't think either will earn their money although they won't disappear like Row and Rent have.

Basically because they aren't being asked to fulfill unrealistic expectations.

Maybe they'll all agree to have career years in 2011 and win it all on their way out the door, and we'll get stuck with Sabe's for the forseable future.
Originally posted by LUser:
What would you consider "working out"?

I like Derosa as a solid player but I doubt he'll be a difference maker unless his habits rub-off on the rest of of the team. He is better signing than Rowand and Rent because of the $$ but it looks like another 2 year bide time deal on a budget while we evaluate the the GM on whether he's worth keeping.

If we could have had Molina back at 12 mil I would have preferred that, and filling in Posey where necessary and giving him a roster spot with the big league club for sure right now. I don't se him learning as much in AAA.

I think it weakens the defense if we move Pablo to 1st full-time, too. I'll have to see him play in Spring but he never looked comfortable there last year. He has the talent to overcome it, but he settled into third so well last year it seems a waste to have him learning a new position again this year.

If Derosa hits fifth what would you consider acceptable? .285, 22hrs and 95-105 rbi's?

Or .268, 22hrs, and 85 rbis.

I think he'll end up closer to the latter which means we have a more disciplined Pedro Feliz. He got 1 year and 4 mil from the Astros. Only he needs more talent around him than Derosa.

I would have signed Uribe for a lower salary for 1 year and used it to leverage Derosa and let him walk if he didn't want to sign for less. Sanchez, too.

I don't think either will earn their money although they won't disappear like Row and Rent have.

Basically because they aren't being asked to fulfill unrealistic expectations.

Maybe they'll all agree to have career years in 2011 and win it all on their way out the door, and we'll get stuck with Sabe's for the forseable future.

I would consider that acceptable. As long as he's not Rowand-esque or Rentawreck-esque I'll be fine with it. As long as he gives us SOMETHING. We still need another big bat though. Instead of resigning sanchez, uribe, and signing DeRosa, we could've spent that money on a guy like Bay or Holliday that's a real difference maker though. I think Sanchez got 5 mill/year, now Mark gets 6, and Uribe will probably get 4, that's 14 million dollars. We could easily have had one of the impact players IMO had we not spent on these guys. And we'll still need 1-2 more guys to have a decent offense, and that's questionable as long as rent and rowand are on the team because they're horrible.
  • LUser
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I would consider that acceptable. As long as he's not Rowand-esque or Rentawreck-esque I'll be fine with it. As long as he gives us SOMETHING. We still need another big bat though. Instead of resigning sanchez, uribe, and signing DeRosa, we could've spent that money on a guy like Bay or Holliday that's a real difference maker though. I think Sanchez got 5 mill/year, now Mark gets 6, and Uribe will probably get 4, that's 14 million dollars. We could easily have had one of the impact players IMO had we not spent on these guys. And we'll still need 1-2 more guys to have a decent offense, and that's questionable as long as rent and rowand are on the team because they're horrible.

Sanchez got 6 like De-ro, Uribe won't get 4. He'll take 2 and maybe some bonus for incentives that they'll make sure he wont reach by limiting his at bats.

It will probably mean either he won't sign, or will, and take over for Rent when he busts out again.

If we spent that on someone like Bay or Holliday we would have still need a Catcher and 1st baseman.

I would have signed Uribe for 2 mil per and given him 2 years or 1 and an option to play everyday at second.

I would have offered Dero or Sanchez 4-5 mil per to play third on the same 1+1 terms and taken whichever would sign the deal. Total 7 Mil .That way you still have money (5 mil savings to have either + Uribe) for an everyday catcher.
Originally posted by LUser:
Sanchez got 6 like De-ro, Uribe won't get 4. He'll take 2 and maybe some bonus for incentives that they'll make sure he wont reach by limiting his at bats.

It will probably mean either he won't sign, or will, and take over for Rent when he busts out again.

If we spent that on someone like Bay or Holliday we would have still need a Catcher and 1st baseman.

I would have signed Uribe for 2 mil per and given him 2 years or 1 and an option to play everyday at second.

I would have offered Dero or Sanchez 4-5 mil per to play third on the same 1+1 terms and taken whichever would sign the deal. Total 7 Mil .That way you still have money (5 mil savings to have either + Uribe) for an everyday catcher.

We have that stud catcher coming up from the minors, I forgot his name...but he is a good one.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
We have that stud catcher coming up from the minors, I forgot his name...but he is a good one.

Are you thinking Posey or Joseph
I really hope SF continues to try to develop Eugenio Velez. He played well last season and all over the field. Hopefully he doesn't get benched bc SF got DeRosa. Once Uribe resigns I really hope the defense looks like this:

1B: Pablo
2B: Sanchez
3B: DeRosa
SS: Uribe
C: ??
LF: Velez
CF: Rowand (simply bc there is no one else)
RF: Schierholtz