There are 4 users in the forums

Can the Giants win the NL West this year?

I know. I am thinking way ahead of where I need to be thinking. The season has not even started yet. But what are your thoughts on this? Can the Giants win the NL West this season?

I think they have amazing pitching and if they can just get a little more hitting going, we can win more of those low scoring games. We just need to do better against the rest of the NL West.

Thoughts?

I know a Dodgers fan who said "This may sound crazy, but watch out for the Giants this year. They are going to be good. I'd bet on it."
Can they, Sure. Will they, Maybe. Too much depends on DeRosa and Huff being the ONE bat we were short last year.
We have two all star starters, 2 others that have to produce or disappear. We have two legit bats in Panda and Bengie. We have more speed on our bench than most teams have period. We Have to Win the 6 innning battles because we have 2 good setup guys in Affeldt and Medders. Wilson is a good to great closure if you don't mind drama. Our starting lineup will change more often than we will be able to count. Our defense will be suspect on all positions except for Centerfield, Rightfield and Catcher. Every other position will be filled by people playing out of position. (this includes Panda)

Having said all that I think we have a legit shot as long as that team to the south doesn't pitch well.
So many question marks on this team. Lots of potential I think though.
  • LUser
Originally posted by BigRon:
Can they, Sure. Will they, Maybe. Too much depends on DeRosa and Huff being the ONE bat we were short last year.
We have two all star starters, 2 others that have to produce or disappear. We have two legit bats in Panda and Bengie. We have more speed on our bench than most teams have period. We Have to Win the 6 innning battles because we have 2 good setup guys in Affeldt and Medders. Wilson is a good to great closure if you don't mind drama. Our starting lineup will change more often than we will be able to count. Our defense will be suspect on all positions except for Centerfield, Rightfield and Catcher. Every other position will be filled by people playing out of position. (this includes Panda)

Having said all that I think we have a legit shot as long as that team to the south doesn't pitch well.

They can but probably won't.

Considering they overachieved last year and ended up in third and nobody impoved significantly this off season we'ill probaly end up there again.

We'll score a few more runs and give up a few more, too.

Will we hold more leads and close things out in the crucial road games that cost us last year? Who f'in knows.

That's the question that needs to be answered.

One thing I know is that were winning so far, and that the year we had our best spring we lost over 100 regular season games.

So I agreee is way too early to know anything about this team other than who's on it.

I think from spring we know most of the 12 pitchers and 11 of the 13 position players by their contracts alone.
I have not been able to catch many spring training games. What do you guys think of the team so far?
  • LUser
Originally posted by GiantsFan:
I have not been able to catch many spring training games. What do you guys think of the team so far?

This is what I've seen and heard.

Derosa was the best off season move. All I've heard is that he's a great influence and as consistant a contributer as you could want on a team. He may even start at 2nd base instead of LF.

Huff is a gamble. He could be lightning in a bottle like Uribe last year or he could be a malcontent that steps on toes, shoots off his mouth, and whine his way out of town by the break.

The team is concerned that Schierholtz is regressing as fast as his promotion to "everday RF" will allow, and that he is heaping pressure on his own shoulders they can't bear.

Bowker's play in Spring may mean he's finally ready to Mash at the MLB level and may be more an everyday player than Nate, Ishi a may eventually replace the afore mentioned Huff should he go bad. Or he may go to left and Dero to 2nd for Freddy or to 1st if Huff goes south.

The next round of cuts/demotions and DFA's will include Fred Lewis in some form ofr another ala Frandsen.

In a coin flip call Andres Torres friendship with the Panda may mean he stays and Velez or another 5th outfielder will go.

Posey won't make the opening day roster but oddly it's due to Sanchez's injury and need for better infield defense not that he's not ready to play in the majors. He is READY!

That said our infield defense particularly Rent and Huff has been horrid. Both will be removed in later innings, Huff in the 8th, Rent in the 9th in games when we're leading.

Darren Ford is not far away from threatening any outfielder who struggles.

Next inline is most likely

The front office is on the ball as far as securing a workable payroll over the next five years.

Pressure is on management to make the playoffs within the 2 year timeframe given to Sabes/Bochy.

The team is struggling for revenue despite pricing changes ans other marketing efforts.

We can compete this year if they make the right call early on. With all the movable parts, though. I doubt anyone will be very comfortable for the first 2 months.

Hope it keeps them on there toes and not onn edge.
LUser, thanks for the summary. Much appreciated. Now I know who to keep an eye on. Getting pretty excited about the start of the season. Almost there.

It looks like Cain just got a contract extension. Now signed through 2012.

Also given contract extensions: Affeldt and Wilson
If it were up to me and I know it isn't, Torres would make this team and Velez would be traded along with Lewis for minor league pitching talent.
  • LUser
Originally posted by BigRon:
If it were up to me and I know it isn't, Torres would make this team and Velez would be traded along with Lewis for minor league pitching talent.

I think Velez has more upside and versatility than Torres.

Since he came back up at the end of 2009 and started trying to drive the ball gap to gap instead of swinging over the top and using speed to reach base he's improved steadily.

Muellens was effective with him and Rowand has hit better with him as well.

At 32 I think Torres has maxxed out his talent but is a better player than Fred can be. Lewis just doesn't seem to have the knack to be able to transfer his athletic ability to baseball disciplines.

We have enough minor league pitching talent. I'd trade Lewis for a similar player who needs a change of scenery and may be a better fit with us than his current team, if possible.

Gettting Darren Ford for Durham is working out.