There are 3 users in the forums

Official Giants at Astros baseball opening series thread

Mon, April 5 - at Astros - 4:05 pm
Tue, April 6 - at Astros - 5:05 pm
Wed, April 7 - at Astros - 11:05 am

Let's talk some Giants baseball!
if we can generate some offense... look out.
I think that they can make a real push this year. But they have to start out good. So here is to hoping against the Astros.
Timmy has a 3 run lead. This should be fun.
one down 161 to go. Giants 5-2. DeRosa with a Big Fly. Timmy looked good but Medders needs some help.
Nice win, baby!
Good win boys!
great game, and Lincecum is starting where he left off.
It would be nice to take at least two of these games. Maybe even three.
Will Zito pitch like he did in the second half of last season or will he pitch like he does in the beggining of every season and give up 6 runs? I think it will carry over and he will just give up a 1hr because of the short left field. Giants win today.
  • LUser
Originally posted by BigRon:
one down 161 to go. Giants 5-2. DeRosa with a Big Fly. Timmy looked good but Medders needs some help.

Medders will be this year's Howry. A problem waiting to happen.

Bautista and Sosa both outpitched him in spring and so did Pucetas.

Ideally he'll be the inning eater/longman when Barry caves in the first 3 innings or when Sanchez can't go a full 6.

He would have been cut if not owed $850 large. If he continues to struggle they will cut deal or DFA him.
Originally posted by LUser:
Medders will be this year's Howry. A problem waiting to happen.

Bautista and Sosa both outpitched him in spring and so did Pucetas.

Ideally he'll be the inning eater/longman when Barry caves in the first 3 innings or when Sanchez can't go a full 6.

He would have been cut if not owed $850 large. If he continues to struggle they will cut deal or DFA him.

I hope he isn't Howry. What a nightmare that would be. Medders isn't bad, just needs to be a little better. I don't think Botched has the courage or the intelligence it would take to cut him.
  • LUser
Originally posted by BigRon:
I hope he isn't Howry. What a nightmare that would be. Medders isn't bad, just needs to be a little better. I don't think Botched has the courage or the intelligence it would take to cut him.

I don't see it getting better.

Medders problem is that he isn't the prototypical reliever. His best pitch, the 12-6 curve, has to be working for him to be effective. If he can't command it or it's flat he'll get lit up.

It would suit him to be a mid-inning guy, like Justin Miller, last year and save the live arms like Romo and Runzler etc. for the set-up late innings.

Medders wouldn't have been considered if it wasn't a five run lead.

Bochy won't make the call on releasing him. Sabean gave him the 2 year deal so it'll be him to give the walking papers.

I think they could deal him now if they could find a taker that has a role for him. The more he gets in games the harder it will be to dump him.
Originally posted by LUser:
I don't see it getting better.

Medders problem is that he isn't the prototypical reliever. His best pitch, the 12-6 curve, has to be working for him to be effective. If he can't command it or it's flat he'll get lit up.

It would suit him to be a mid-inning guy, like Justin Miller, last year and save the live arms like Romo and Runzler etc. for the set-up late innings.

Medders wouldn't have been considered if it wasn't a five run lead.

Bochy won't make the call on releasing him. Sabean gave him the 2 year deal so it'll be him to give the walking papers.

I think they could deal him now if they could find a taker that has a role for him. The more he gets in games the harder it will be to dump him.

I agree he needs to be earlier in the lineup but I doubt Botched will slot Runzler, Affeldt, Romo in any specific order for a specific inning. We know Wilson is the Closer and I think BB looks at Affeldt not as a set up guy but strickly as the Hold guy. I don't think Affeldt will start an inning but only come in with men on. Romo on the other hand seems to be better at coming in with a fresh slate. Runzler is an enigma right now and should be used early and often, 6th or 7th inning starting the inning. Medders should be used in the 3-5th innings when some dope that is throwing tonight can't handle the assignment. Never should he be used in a Lincecum or Cain game.
our hitting seems legit
and the small ball like bunting is looking great