There are 6 users in the forums

Barry Bonds trial

The jury selection is under way. I was reading a lot about it being tough for potential jurors to be impartial since they grew up watching the guy.

Anyways, what are your thought on the case. I know it is a hot topic because you either love the guy for what he did for the Giants or you hate the guy because of what he did to accomplish that.
This article says it well for me. I am admitted Giants Addict. I have only rooted against two players in my lifetime, I am 59 now, who were active Giants players (that catcher from Minnesota and Charlie Williams.) Bonds was Great before 1998 (the McGwire/Sosa runs) and better afterward. During the years from 1999-2003 we marveled at what he accomplished. How can we look back now and be saddened by the entire era of steroids (1989-2003) when during that time Baseball as a collective excluded testing of EVERY player for illegal substances including steroids. Unless someone was tested for a substance outside of baseball related activities, no one would know who was on what when. It is laughable that those that despise Bonds for his usage of the Clear and the Cream, would applaud those who made marginal impact on the game for coming clean. Andy Pettite is given a pass on his career of usage. Same with Giambi. Bonds, though, is singled out as a villain simple because he hit home runs at a pace not seen since the days of Ruth and the 3 years of Sosa.

I may be laughed at but for me, since it wasn't against the rules of Baseball, Bonds should be given a pass on the Steroids issue. This Government Witch Hunt is a waste of time and money. This isn't about whether Bonds used or that he lied about using. This is simply about him being a disagreeable interview who had to be interviewed every day for 4 years by a press corp who loved Hank Aaron and the myths concerning Babe Ruth. Forget Roger Maris, The press had little or no love for him. Unless you count the "movie" 61, Maris was looked upon as a flash in the pan similar to Brady Anderson.

Author John Thorn, named MLB's official historian March 1, says a conviction for either or both would likely delay their enshrinement into Cooperstown but not close the Hall's doors forever. He ranks their alleged misdeeds on a similar scale as Gaylord Perry throwing a spitter and Whitey Ford a scuffed ball. Both are in the Hall of Fame.

Originally posted by John Thorne:
"Stretching the bounds of the rules is something we admire when baseball players can do it. We call it clever," Thorn says. "But then one day you make a mistake and you're no longer clever; you're now borderline criminal."

Bonds and Clemens are indeed facing criminal charges, but Thorn says that doesn't mean the game itself is on trial.

"While baseball may be faulted for how it reacted to the onset of the steroids era," Thorn says, "it would be unwise to extend from individual cases to a global condemnation of the sport."

If it happened before Testing its time to move on. Congress got what they wanted. That was testing and punishment for anyone that got caught. Bonds never got caught and even stopped playing because nobody wanted to touch him with this hanging over his head. He's been out of the game for a couple years now, he's not coming back. This is nothing but a witch hunt now. Sort of a "How Dare You" tantrum being thrown by the government when there are more important issues to be addressed. Every fan from the age of 5 to 100 could tell you that there has always been some gamesmanship from the players to help their teams win. This is no different. Now you've got HGH that takes a blood test. But if they're only doing it in spurts there is no test that will out them since HGH is metabolized in a matter of days.

It's time to move on.

~Ceadder
Barry Bonds was a very good Giant (just as daddy Bobby was) but the elder Bonds did not use steroids.

I think using steroids, even though Barry was by no means alone in this, has to be a black mark against him, and also against his HR record. I am sure Hank Aaron would agree.
I do not agree. Baseball players have been looking for an edge ever since Baseball started. Who gives a rats ass about steroids. They don't make you magically better. If this were the case Canseco would be the All Time HR king and not Bonds. Regardless if he used or not other players have used something to enhance their own performance, like using "greenies" and "bennies" to give themselves more energy and focus. And that was happening before Barry Bonds ever put on a little league uniform. So if you weed out the Roid users with black marks then you gotta do the same even for Honus Wagner the Tea Totaler because he drank Coca Cola instead of Beer. A lot of people today don't realize the key ingredient to Coca Cola back then was Cocaine. And if you start this the record book will be mighty thin.

~Ceadder
The Steroid argument against Bonds is flimsy when you look at the Era as a whole. Taken in the context of the Era, Bonds was the best of that time. As was Clemens. For those that say "Greg Maddox" He was too. He may not have used but then so what. I may come off as naive but in the context of the era, Bonds stands out so Bonds gets singled out. Too Bad, He was a great player and he is a good guy.