There are 8 users in the forums

The Jonathon Sanchez Dilemma

Having read the Giants thread on the Webzone, Mccovey Chronicles, MLB Trade Rumors, and blogs like Extra Baggs, I have read fans who think we should trade Jonathon Sanchez, and fans who think we should lock him long term. However, I don’t believe doing either is a good idea.

What do I propose? Don’t trade Sanchez, tender him a contract for the 2012 season, once he hits the open market after the 2012 season let some other team be the team who pays him the 4-5 year 40-75 Million dollar contract.

First here is why we shouldn’t trade him: The reason we shouldn’t is the lack of depth we currently have in the starting rotation. If we trade Jonathan Sanchez who do you replace him with? Unfortunately I don’t have a good answer to this question and I hope it won’t Barry Zito. Unless you have someone who can take Jonathan Sanchez’s place in the rotation, it would be a bad idea to trade him.

Now I am going to explain why we shouldn’t sign Jonathon Sanchez long term. This includes not using the excuse Barry Zito is due $18 Million in 2013 and Lincecum and Cain will making $15-20 Million as well.

My reason is you never know what you are going to get in Jonathon Sanchez. When it comes playoff time Lincecum can match up with anyone, you can strategically align the starts where Cain gets the bulk of his starts at home, and Bumgarner and get the majority of his starts on the road. Then you just need a #4 pitcher who would pitch one game per series where you need that pitcher to be able to pitch 5 innings without allowing more than four runs. Not pretty but good enough to keep the team in the ballgame and hand over the game to the bullpen from the sixth inning on.

In essence after 2012 the three big money pitchers would be Lincecum, Cain, and Bumgarner.

My question would be do we need to try to sign an inconsistent pitcher to a 4-5 year contract worth $40-75 Million, when at best he would the #4 Starter in 2013 going forward. I believe the answer is no. The free agent market will be decent for starting pitching after 2012, and I believe the Giants could easily sign a reliable # 4 starting pitcher who is capable of making one start per post season series going 5 innings while not allowing more than four runs to a much shorter contract and much less money per year. This money could be allocated to upgrading the offense.

Also there is a good chance this #4 starter could be Zach Wheeler as he is expected to arrive in the big leagues sometime during the 2013 season

P.S. Note to Mod check the Parking Lot section and read the thread 49ers Webzone
I am for trading Sanchez. The lack of depth can be solved especially with an innings eater coming back to the staff in the next month. Sanchez has proven over and over that he does not have the mental approach to the game to take the next step in his development. A staff of Lincecum, Cain, Zito, Vogelson and Bumgarner will work for the short term. Although we have only someone like Mark Kroon to step up in case of injury, I think we are better served by having A BAT in the lineup. I would package Sanchez with Pill and get a SS like Reyes. Holding on to Sanchez brings us nothing.
I guess if Sabean would make a separate trade to bring us back a #4 or #5 starter for rotation depth/insurance, I am all for trading Sanchez if it could land us a short stop. If we have that depth, I am all for trading as you suggested in the Surkamp thread, Surkamp and Sanchez for Jose Reyes for the stretch run and Two extra draft pics for the first two rounds of the 2012 draft.

One trade I would consider trying do is a bad contract swap.

Aarond Rowand due $12 M in 2011-2012 for Joe Blanton due $8.5M in 2011-2012, we may have to kick in money for the salary difference. This would give the rotation depth, open up a roster spot for Brandon Belt, as well as making Jonathon Sanchez expendable in order to try to get a short stop.
Another benefit of an Aaron Rowand for Joe Blanton swap, assuming we trade or Non-Tender Jonathon Sanchez would be, we would have an extra $7M in payroll availability to upgrade the offense for the 2012 season.

2012 Rowand $12M + Sanchez $7M (Estimating what he would get in his final arb year) = $19M
2012 Blanton $12 M (8.5M + $3.5M to Philadelphia to make this trade happen) = $12M

In essence a trade like this could very well indirectly free up extra cash for the 2012 season.
I can live with Sanchez's inconsistency. There is no starting staff in MLB where all 5 starters are basically # 1s. Someone has to be on the bottom end.

It's Barry Zito that I have a problem with, as his salary FAR EXCEEDS his current worth to the Giants. Of course, at his salary, he would be pretty hard to get rid of.