There are 2 users in the forums

Poll

Poll

Was the collision at the plate malicious on Cousins part?
It was a play that happend before. It's a bog deal because it was buster posey. If it was Eli whiteside it be no big deal. If we change the ruling on that then it would be the same rule change for the second and third base. It sucks about posey. But I do t think cousins did anything wrong. Just my opinion.
If Buster catches the ball, He doesn't get hurt and records the out.
I think Buster gets hurt either way. He was on his knees after all. That's no way to brace for being plowed into by 200 lbs of charging elephant.

While I do not believe it was malicious, the charge wasn't warranted because he had the outside of the base path and a clear lane to the Dish. Sliding to the outside and back dooring the Dish was the way to go. Instead Cousins made a choice to get a full head of Steam and mow down our Catcher. I don't think he should be run out of Baseball, but I do hope he's learned something in the time since he made such a stupid decision.

I think that MLB while not directly changing the rules should institute fines for inappropriate contact with the Catcher.

In a financially penal system Cousins would not be fined for his action. Move was purely made in the heat of battle.

In the same system, Prince Fielder would receive a fine for rounding 3rd when there is no possible way short of an errant throw from Left Field of his scoring against Whiteside who clearly had time to receive the throw, clench his mitt and set up in front of Home before Fielder made it halfway down the path. He would also receive a fine for throwing his arms up into Whitey's unprotected face. Forearm shivers are not allowed in Baseball. Fielder is nothing but a thug wearing a Brewers uniform imho. Last I heard there are no Enforcers in Baseball either.

~Ceadder
I noticed that our guys were sliding in close call situations last night. Both Huff and Torres both chose to slide instead of mowing over the Catcher. I think Bags wrote a blurb about it. But I think this is a bit of "SEE!, it CAN be done." going on. In a way thumbing their noses at the people who say there was no way it could have been done.

I still don't blame Cousins, but he sure as hell could have slid and he would still have been safe. Buster would have to have had the ball to put him out. And since we all know Buster couldn't field it cleanly Cousins would have been safe and we'd still have our starting Catcher.

~Ceadder