There are 3 users in the forums

5 Reasons NATE Should Play Every Day

This is a article from Barry Shiller that makes so much sense, that Bochy will not read. Click on the link to read the whole article, I just put some of it here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...ying-every-day

...Something has to be amiss. How else to explain why the Giants haven't made Schierholtz, their second-round draft pick in 2003 and a major leaguer since 2007, an everyday player?

His in-and-out-of-the-lineup status is especially vexing given that the Giants entered this week as the lowest run-scoring club (399) in the NL and second-lowest in baseball (only the inept Seattle Mariners had scored fewer runs than San Francisco).

So, in an attempt to logically analyze this illogical situation, here are five reasons Nate Schierholtz ought to be a fixture in the Giants' outfield.

Assume that Bruce Bochy has two outfield spots to fill each day (excepting Carlos Beltran, brought to San Francisco to play every day—sore wrist willing).

Until rosters expand in September, Bochy has four options for the two slots: Aaron Rowand, Andres Torres, Cody Ross and Schierholtz.

We'll exclude other theoretical options, such as bringing Brandon Belt back or aliens kidnapping Aaron Rowand for human experiments on the long-term effects of big contracts on human performance.

Since Beltran's arrival, Bochy has effectively used two platoons: Ross/Schierholtz in LF, Rowand/Torres in CF.

Those arrangements might be clean and convenient, but they've weakened the Giants. Schierholtz is materially more productive than any of the other three. Statistics bear this out.

I know, I know. Statistics can be contorted to prove just about anything. This analysis focuses on a few key, fundamental numbers. I invite you to draw your own conclusions.

For example, as a measure of overall productivity, here's how the above four players rank in plate appearances per run produced (higher number equals lower productivity):

Schierholtz: 8.4

Ross: 9.5

Rowand: 15.0

Torres: 17.3

Platooning Schierholtz and Ross keeps one of the club's two most productive outfielder/run producers on the bench.

What kind of sense does that make? (Hint: the answer is "none.")

A corollary point: Aubrey Huff (pictured above), who inexplicably continues to play every day, produces a run every 9.2 plate appearances.

San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy is fond of saying that he wants his players to "keep the line moving." His point: get on base any way you can and avoid making unproductive outs.

If "line movement" really does matter to Bochy, Nate Schierholtz should be playing daily.

For instance, below is a ranking of the four-outfielder rotation based on OPS—on-base percentage plus slugging percentage—a good indicator of how effectively each "moves the line."

Rowand: .671

Torres: .668

Ross: .732

Schierholtz: .739

Schierholtz is most productive among the four and also has the highest batting average, .274 (Rowand is next-best at .248). Schierholtz outranks his outfield mates even after a prolonged slump (.231 over his last seven games and six hits in his last 31 at-bats).

Last point here, among all Giants hitters, only Pablo Sandoval (.870) entered this week with a higher OPS than Schierholtz. Huff's OPS? A paltry .665.

One of the 2011 Giants' most vexing problems has been delivering runs in the clutch.

I promised not to overwhelm you with statistics. Just one—batting average with runners in scoring position—makes the case here.

Here, for each of the four outfielders, are two averages. First, with runners in scoring position, second, with runners in scoring position and two outs:

Rowand: .207/.192

Torres: .254/.107

Ross: .250/.135

Schierholtz: .311/.270

I rest my case.

Addendum I: Huff's numbers, similar scenarios: .235/.196, as a middle-of-the-order, everyday hitter.

Addendum II: If a statistic were kept for bats tossed into stands, Ross (above) would lead the league. One hopes the Giants have lots of liability insurance.

Addendum III: If the Giants remain determined to marginalize Schierholtz by platooning him in the outfield, perhaps he ought to work out with a first baseman's mitt.

MORE...
I could see Nate at first. If they are gonna continue with the Rowand/Torres Platoon at least Ross would be daily in LF.
I think that when Torres isn't hitting or on DL, Nate should be moved to the Corner. He's got good range, we know his arm was surgically replaced with a Cannon and he's having the best season ever. I've said this before and people poo poo'ed me saying that his numbers at the plate didn't warrant him being an everyday Starter. And that was before we got Torres in the Middle.

Put Rowand(until Beltran returns) in RF, Ross in Left. Torres comes back move Ross to Right, put Torres back in the middle and let Nate take over Left. Beltran returns then Nate and Beltran stay on the field and the most productive player goes to the Middle filling out Left.

You put Nate out there it equalizes Sacrifice situations. Only the speediest of Runners are going to run on him. Especially if you put him in Center. That Sac Fly better have warning track power imho.

~Ceadder
Rowand should be a pinch hitter, and a late inning replacement. Should be for now: Nate/RF, Ross/CF, Belt/LF

Torres is having a bad year at the plate, although he can still field well, I prefer Ross, who can hit way better than Torres. I thing Torres is now batting under .230 with like 20 RBI's, with not much power. Don't see us keeping him after this year.
I could see that but I think this is just an off year for Torres. Nothing wrong with that, he knows that he's crowding the plate which affects his power since he can't get the barrel of that 35 inch bat squarely on the ball on those inside pitches. If he can get back to disciplined hitting he should be okay. Remember how Panda had the off year last year? He's pretty much put that squarely behind him. So other than age being a factor I don't see Torres going anywhere cause his Defense in Center is >> Rowie's. Great catch by Row to keep the runner at 1st yesterday.

~Ceadder
I wanted to restart this thread..... I'm not gonna lie.... I have a man crush on Nate and it has pissed me off since 2008 that he hasn't been our everyday starter. So i wanted to see where everyone else stood on this guy.

He seems the most consistent to me out of any of the outfielders we've brought in here over the years, excluding Pagan and Cabrera, jury is still out on them although Cabrera seems nails so far! Nate is by far one of the better defensive outfielders in all of baseball. He has pop and puts together good at bats. He's got speed and a CANNON! Why isn't this guy a lock in right field? I know after the other day he will be but it seems like he has always had the shortest leash out of anybody when it comes to Bochy yanking him out of the lineup after going 0 fer the day before. And when he does do good it almost like everyone is like "oh yea that guy Nate had a pretty good day, but let's talk about so and so"

I guess I just wanted to see what everyone else thought!

~Pepper~ GO GIANTS!!
Originally posted by Pepper:
I wanted to restart this thread..... I'm not gonna lie.... I have a man crush on Nate and it has pissed me off since 2008 that he hasn't been our everyday starter. So i wanted to see where everyone else stood on this guy.

He seems the most consistent to me out of any of the outfielders we've brought in here over the years, excluding Pagan and Cabrera, jury is still out on them although Cabrera seems nails so far! Nate is by far one of the better defensive outfielders in all of baseball. He has pop and puts together good at bats. He's got speed and a CANNON! Why isn't this guy a lock in right field? I know after the other day he will be but it seems like he has always had the shortest leash out of anybody when it comes to Bochy yanking him out of the lineup after going 0 fer the day before. And when he does do good it almost like everyone is like "oh yea that guy Nate had a pretty good day, but let's talk about so and so"

I guess I just wanted to see what everyone else thought!

~Pepper~ GO GIANTS!!

I like Nate a lot. His glove and arm is awesome and it looks like his bat is getting there. He has been inconsistent in the past, but I think his play in RF makes up for that and the hope is if he does get regular playing time, his bat will be more consistent.

He's had a couple of bad breaks in terms of injury and each time it feels like they put a short leash on him when he came back. I wish they would let him work through slumps especially since he's proven he can be a productive and all-around ballplayer.
[ Edited by Ellen on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM ]
Does it seem like the team is more settled in its outfield rotation since Huff went on the "DL"
Does it seem like the team is more settled in its outfield rotation since Huff went on the "DL"
I think I jinxed Nate with bringing back this thread

Still think he needs to be given a whole month.