There are 8 users in the forums

Lincecum and Giants agree to $40.5M, 2-year deal

I am a little late to the game ... just saw it this morning.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—Two-time NL Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants reached a verbal agreement Tuesday on a two-year contract worth $40.5 million.

The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $18 million this year and $22 million in 2013, a person familiar with the agreement said Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the terms were not announced. Lincecum still must take a physical, which the Giants hope will happen early next week to complete the deal.

Lincecum had asked for a near-record $21.5 million in salary arbitration and had been offered $17 million by the club. He remains eligible for free agency following the 2013 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-lincecum
Originally posted by GiantsFan:
I am a little late to the game ... just saw it this morning.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—Two-time NL Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants reached a verbal agreement Tuesday on a two-year contract worth $40.5 million.

The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $18 million this year and $22 million in 2013, a person familiar with the agreement said Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the terms were not announced. Lincecum still must take a physical, which the Giants hope will happen early next week to complete the deal.

Lincecum had asked for a near-record $21.5 million in salary arbitration and had been offered $17 million by the club. He remains eligible for free agency following the 2013 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-lincecum

not too late i saw it last night on sports net central. great news for the next 2 years.....but what about after that.

i would love nothing more than to finally have a sports figure or hero stay with a team based on loyalty. ive watched a couple of shows that say that timmy wanted shorter contracts cuz he likes the pressure of having to prove himself and doesnt want a long term deal that would make him feel secure about his position (cough zito)

but with sports these days, i dont know if i trust him to stay with the giants since this deal takes him into FA. do you think he will test the market and try to become the first $200 mil pitcher? and do you think if the giants offered around the same amount as the other teams that he would stay here. hes set for life as it is now. why would you ever need that much more money. this team is a contender, already won the WS, and i know they didnt do alot to upgrade the offense, and didnt sign prince to that ungodly contract or reyes, but i think after this season when rowand and zito and hopefully huff come off the books, the team will have more room to play around. i dont know im ranting now what do yout hink about the situation.
If Lincecum has two more good years, I expect him to bolt, and only the yanks will able to afford him. If he does leave, hopefully he will be like scmidt did with the dodgers, so we won't have to face a top notch pitcher in the WS. If his 2nd year is not all that great he might stay, but the Giants would have to decide if he is worth what he might be asking. It would be great if he stayed a Giant, but I think the fact that he turned down their 5 year 100 million offer, means he wants more. A lot more.
[ Edited by sf1giantfan on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM ]
Well, makes sense for Lincecum because he will still be able to test the free agent waters in a couple of years. On the Giants side, they are not stuck with a big long contract in case things eventually go wrong with Lincecum. However, if he plays great, they'll have to pay him big bucks in a couple of years to keep him. I guess it kind of makes sense for now for both parties.
Originally posted by GiantsFan:
Well, makes sense for Lincecum because he will still be able to test the free agent waters in a couple of years. On the Giants side, they are not stuck with a big long contract in case things eventually go wrong with Lincecum. However, if he plays great, they'll have to pay him big bucks in a couple of years to keep him. I guess it kind of makes sense for now for both parties.

I pretty much agree with this. Really the Giants might be a little trigger shy after the Zitto contract. Also I know that some people don't think Tim's small frame will stand up to his mechanics over the long hall. Glad we have two more years and everyone gets to keep their options open. I would hate to see Tim in another uniform. Perhaps another WS would help sway him into being locked up is SF.
Perhaps he is waiting to see what Matty does. I think they are this generations Marichal and Perry. It should be fun, errr torture, to watch them again this year
if i was a gm i would never sign pitchers to long deals anyway. anything could happen to them and not be worth the money. every team should take this stand so its not a guarantee that they are going to break the bank wherever they go.....except the dodgers, they can sign huge long term deals and have there players get zitoitis every year