There are 7 users in the forums

Brandon Belt

Ok, I can't believe there is no thread for him already, but I did a search and nothing....

Anyways, what the heck is going on with this guy?? He showed so much promise in between Bochy putting him in and out of the lineup last year, but this season it seems he strikes out looking at least twice a game? He looks completely lost on any breaking balls or pitches with good movement.

I am a fan, but certainly not an aficionado with tons of knowledge on the finer points. Is he really that terrible this season or is just me? Should he be going to AAA to get his groove back?

On paper, I think the Giants are as solid as anyone right now, but with guys under-performing or being so erratic they are scaring me a bit.
Meh, it's just the Sophmore slump. He was virtually unknown coming into the league last year and pitchers have made their adjustments and it's got him questioning what he's seeing. We all know a little indecision at the plate gives the Pitcher the advantage. I think that he's just overthinking it a bit at the plate. I haven't seen him fail much on the bag so once he makes his adjustment to what he's seeing he should be fine.

Give the kid a break this is his 2nd year in the Majors.
If nothing else it might be a good thing for Pill to get some work in.

~Ceadder
i say the same thing on paper, to me the giants should be winning most every game like these games in colorado. but the O isnt always there and the pitching is not really consistent enough for that to happen.

for belt, look at his swing in the game, tell me if you see the looping upward motion of the bat. thats what im seeing the most anyway, and it seems like he pops up alot .....cuz hes getting under the ball, or he strikes out cuz a vertical bat is smaller than a horizontal bat through the zone. then after that, he loses confidence and is not seeing the ball cuz hes thinking about it and guessing. thats my theory anyway, but take it as you will cuz apparently i know nothing lol. but like ceadder said, having pill get some time is not a bad idea.

as far as the other guys slumping a lil, crawford has been pretty descent as of late, pagan was on last night so hope that turns around, pence is still what 1 for 7, he'll come around when he gets comfy, blanco needs to stop hitting flyballs and get on base a tiny bit more. all that and panda comes back, and timmy is even almost timmy again and cabrera and posey keep doing what they're doing and my friends, you have a serious team in line for a long season just like 10'
Belt shouldnt be starting. He is virtually useless at bat. The only thing he does above average is take walks. His ability to hit with runners in scoring position, or on base in general, is abysmal. I dont care if its his second season in the Major Leagues. We are in the middle of a pennant race and are competing to win a title. Belt should not see the field before the 8th inning as a defensive replacement.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Belt shouldnt be starting. He is virtually useless at bat. The only thing he does above average is take walks. His ability to hit with runners in scoring position, or on base in general, is abysmal. I dont care if its his second season in the Major Leagues. We are in the middle of a pennant race and are competing to win a title. Belt should not see the field before the 8th inning as a defensive replacement.

If this is the Case Sabes should just trade him. NOBODY keeps an 8th Inning Defender around for the sole purpose of Defense. If this team didn't have hitters on it and you're expecting Belt to carry the team then you might have a case. But this team is fine Offensively with or without Belt. Belt hasn't been the only player whose bat has a curious case of silencitis. 162 games if he fails he fails and we'll see if Pill can do the job. But there is no reason to carry a bench player whose only contribution is in the 8th inning for Defense. It's simply just not done.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
If this is the Case Sabes should just trade him. NOBODY keeps an 8th Inning Defender around for the sole purpose of Defense. If this team didn't have hitters on it and you're expecting Belt to carry the team then you might have a case. But this team is fine Offensively with or without Belt. Belt hasn't been the only player whose bat has a curious case of silencitis. 162 games if he fails he fails and we'll see if Pill can do the job. But there is no reason to carry a bench player whose only contribution is in the 8th inning for Defense. It's simply just not done.

~Ceadder

This guy says you are wrong:

Expecting Belt to carry the team means I might have a case? Huh? The fact of the matter is our team isnt always the best hitting team. We need as many bats in our lineup as possible, and Belt has proven that he cannot hit Major League pitching consistently, and he is just awful in the clutch. You say he isnt the only bat....true hes not the only bat that goes silent. But his bat has been silent this entire season, apart from an 11 game stretch.
been hot lately so hope that keeps going. if hes hitting 250 or below with 20-25 HR, thats fine. but he doesnt hit HR and needs to stop throwing down his bat and staring at every ball he makes contact with it like its going out......they mostly get caught mid outfield.

ceadar i dont get it? "this team is fine offensively with or without him". i think of him coming to the plate like molina was on base....giant clog (no pun intended) killing rallies or wasting the opportunity, like was said, with runners on base. so this team would be fine without him, but is worse when hes in it. so there needs to be an upgrade or he performs better.

crawford needs to be hitting around .260+ blanco needs to do anything at the plate and belt starts hitting line drives instead of flying out (thinking its gone) or striking out that would be cool.
I guess with Melky gone we need to pray that Belt can become consistent, we need it for sure now....