There are 4 users in the forums

Giants Off-season Moves/Freeagency (Post Panda signing with Boston)

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Glad to see that the Giants haven't tossed a boatload of moola at Lester. I think the team may be exploring trade options right now. We need pitching, yes. But we also need a power bat and there ain't much out there in free agency...

No official word but I'm sure the Giants offered him around what the SOX and cubs did
I hate to bash on Panda too much, but I saw this and couldn't help but laugh. This may be what he looks like a few years from now once he passes 30 and turns into the DH....
[URL=http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/SFGiant49ers/media/IMG_291116639702355_zps25c408e9.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u546/SFGiant49ers/IMG_291116639702355_zps25c408e9.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]
[ Edited by SFGiant49ers on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM ]
Ok why the hell cant I just post a damn pic? I don't want to post a link I want the picture itself. I followed the directions exactly in the FAQ and this is all I can do? Help anybody....?
Originally posted by Garcia:
No official word but I'm sure the Giants offered him around what the SOX and cubs did

Wasn't it around 6 years $130-5 million?

Yesterday they were reporting that a mystery team was also in the bidding, and then last night they said it was the Dodgers. I read somewhere that their plan to trade for Cole Hamels fell through and so now they're focusing on Lester.

I agree that we shouldn't overpay anyone, because those rarely work out and we are then handicapped from making moves year to year.

With Panda, I respect his decision to go where he wants; but I wish he hadn't said all that stuff about wanting to retire here and only wearing a Giants uniform for his entire career. In hindsight, looking at his body language during the playoffs and stuff he said; I think he never really intended on coming back and he had his mind set on Boston all along.

On a side note, everyone's already probably heard, but Tomas went to the D-backs. There was an article saying that we like being in the conversation with these guys but are satisfied with coming in second when it comes to actually signing them.

Also, has anyone heard about what we plan to do with Scutaro? I know this is the final year of that 3 year deal he signed in 2012.
[ Edited by DefSikGiant on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM ]
Originally posted by DefSikGiant:
Originally posted by Garcia:

Wasn't it around 6 years $130-5 million?

Yesterday they were reporting that a mystery team was also in the bidding, and then last night they said it was the Dodgers. I read somewhere that their plan to trade for Cole Hamels fell through and so now they're focusing on Lester.

I agree that we shouldn't overpay anyone, because those rarely work out and we are then handicapped from making moves year to year.

With Panda, I respect his decision to go where he wants; but I wish he hadn't said all that stuff about wanting to retire here and only wearing a Giants uniform for his entire career. In hindsight, looking at his body language during the playoffs and stuff he said; I think he never really intended on coming back and he had his mind set on Boston all along.

On a side note, everyone's already probably heard, but Tomas went to the D-backs. There was an article saying that we like being in the conversation with these guys but are satisfied with coming in second when it comes to actually signing them.

Also, has anyone heard about what we plan to do with Scutaro? I know this is the final year of that 3 year deal he signed in 2012.

I believe I read the Cubs offered him $138, and the sox offered $130. For 6 years I think.
Of course the fu**in dodgers have to come in at the last second to remind us all of how much we hate them. As if their rotation isn't already stacked.

It would suck to overpay anyone and then have it blow up in their face. But it would also suck to not get any good FA's that are out there. There is no way they can contend next year with the current situation they have goin on.

I agree about the Panda. Lookin back on some of those moments in the playoffs and the parade, I now think he kinda already decided he was gonna move on. But at least he left on top, and made major contribution to the WS run. He probably just felt he had accomplished enough with the Giants with 3 rings now. Idk....but yeah he shouldn't of said all those sentimental comments about wanting to stay a Giant forever. If you don't truly mean it, don't say it

I would buy into that article. The Giants name always pops up into the conversation about inquiring about these FA's, but rarely do they actually sign them. Maybe they think as long as they make it seem like they're legitimately trying, the fans will be ok with it

Have not heard anything yet about Scutaro. Don't they owe him something like $7 million this year too? If he isn't gonna play he should do them a favor and just retire and not take any more $$ for not doing anything. Loved him when he played for us, and would love to see him healthy again, but I dunno if that will happen and if it doesn't I don't wanna see him just hang around on the DL all year costing them more useless $$

Ok theres the pic I was attempting to post on here. Would be funny if he turned into that in a few years.
There are rumors that we are in a two team battle to sign Chase Headley.

Same case with Lester, he's going to decide between us and the Cubs. At least, it seems the Dodgers are out of it. We pushed hard for him, and they sent Bochy and Hudson to talk to him about coming here; but last night I saw a tweet on my Team Stream saying that Buster also went and talked to him. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming days; I just hope we don't overpay, but then again we probably have to.
That's pretty cool that they are pushing so hard and everyone is doing their part.
Just announced on sportsnet central, we're out of the Jon Lester sweepstakes.

I'm guessing another team offered more money and a seventh year.

It might be a blessing in disguise.

I guess we'll see what happens. It's just a bit surprising that no one wants to sign with us.
[ Edited by DefSikGiant on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM ]
Yeah as much as it is kinda nice that they aren't responsible for that huge contract, it is starting to piss me off that nobody wants to come play in SF. I heard the Giants offer was actually more guaranteed $$ over the length of the contract than what the cubs gave him. And pitching in AT&T would be better than Wrigley. Annoying that we keep coming in 2nd place with all the free agent bids
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
Yeah as much as it is kinda nice that they aren't responsible for that huge contract, it is starting to piss me off that nobody wants to come play in SF. I heard the Giants offer was actually more guaranteed $$ over the length of the contract than what the cubs gave him. And pitching in AT&T would be better than Wrigley. Annoying that we keep coming in 2nd place with all the free agent bids

It's baffling, especially with pitchers. It's understandable with hitters, but why wouldn't a pitcher want to pitch at at&t?

I just saw a report that we are now entering the Cole Hamels sweepstakes with Boston and the dodgers. I think he's still under contract, so it would have to be a trade.

Also, we're trying to negotiate with romo, but he's also in talks with the tigers.
Yeah, i don't like the sounds of another bidding war with dodgers and red sox. We all know how that usually turns out. I read that the phillies are gonna want to be "wowed" in order to trade for Hamels. So who knows?
You said it. Plus I read the dodgers traded dee gordon to the marlins for prospects; maybe in preparation to trade for hamels.

I don't think we have the prospects to wow the phillies.

On another note, the dodgers and Yankees are now trying to sign romo.

Max Scherzer's name has been thrown around, but he wants $200 million.

I'm not sure how feasible this would be, but I read an article where the author says that maybe we should sign a few players to be competitive, but save the money and sign some of the big free agents next offseason and make a run in 2016.

It makes sense; even year; money coming off the books and the free agent crop will be better.
You said it. Plus I read the dodgers traded dee gordon to the marlins for prospects; maybe in preparation to trade for hamels.

I'm not sure how feasible this would be, but I read an article where the author says that maybe we should sign a few players to be competitive, but save the money and sign some of the big free agents next offseason and make a run in 2016.

It makes sense; even year; money coming off the books and the free agent crop will be better.

That's an interesting theory. I didnt think of that, until now. They just signed Jimmy Rollins to play SS so it kinda makes sense that they maybe will try to use those prospects they got from Miami to go after Hamels.

Yeah I agree we dont have enough prospects to trade for Hamels, unless they wanna deplete the farm system which would be stupid.

As much as I would hate to see them sorta "take a year off" that theory seems reasonable as well. The old odd year even year thing would come into play. I guess they will have a few large chunks of $$ coming off the books. I just hope if this happens, they can re-load in a big way next offseason. Either way, looking forward to a competitive 2015 season hopefully. Hopefully different than 2011, 2013 at least!

I'm totally fine with the even year thing if it continues. I'm fine with not handicapping ourselves now so that we can stay strong in the future.