There are 2 users in the forums

Disappointing Off-season

I have been a faithful Giants fan for over 60 years - since I watched Bobby Thomson's incredibly glorious home run in 1951. Of course I was thrilled when the Giants won 3 world championships over the past 5 years. I had waited for another title since back in 1954. What troubles me is the fact that the G-men had the chance to enhance their legacy as a true dynasty this off-season - and by any measure they blew that opportunity!!! While the Dodgers and Padres greatly improved their respective clubs, the Giants got worse. No one can claim they got better by bringing back Vogie, Peavy and Romo, and signing Aoki and McGehee in face of the loss of Pablo and Morse. The sad truth is ownership/management has dropped the ball where they could have made a major splash to improve a team that needed at least 2 major acquisitions. The truth is the Giants have made a ton of money since 2010 and the owners of the team are one of the richest in all of sport - yet they act like a poor team!!!! Ownership's plan is simple. Their lack of action this off-season shows they have taken the stance that fans should be grateful for the 3 titles won and continue to show up in droves to support what will be a team that likely will finish 3rd in the NL west this coming season. I mean come on - the Giants should have paid the extra $ to get Lester, or if they couldn't get him, signed Shields instead of letting him sign with the Padres! Rather than or in addition to Aoki they should have figured out a way to get a power hitting outfielder. Even signing Viciedo to a low cost deal (he signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays potentially worth 2.5 mil) would have been worth a flyer. The excuse that they do not need power hitters because they play in Giants Park rings hollow since it is not like power hitters cannot hit homers at home and the G-men play half their games on the road . Mark my words (and I hope I am dead wrong), the failure to make more substantial moves this off-season will lead to a crappy 2015. The Giants only hope for a successful season depends upon Pagan playing all year w/o getting injured (highly unlikely given the past 2 years), the Brandon's becoming actual stars, Timmy miraculously returns to his Cy Young form, Cain full recovers back to his 2012 form and MadBum's arm staying intact all year. That's an awful lot to hope for! Oh well, I guess at my age I should be glad they won the 3 titles - I don't know if I will live long enough to see another one. PS - sorry for this downer post - but it is my honest assessment! Ownership should be ashamed since it had a chance to make history by making better decisions.
Year off and then World Series next year. That's how it works.

Anyways, I don't think the Dodgers really improved. Their fans are upset that they haven't done much to improve their team. The Padres on the other hand look like they have improved.

I remember thinking that the Giants are a big bag o poo for most of last season. Then they turned up the heat. I'm just going to be hopeful this season until the end.
The most disappointing thing to me this offseason is the fact of a lack of an "adequate" replacement for Panda at third, and at the plate.

Pence's injury may actually be a blessing because it will give someone more of a chance to shine as a hitter. And replacing him in RF shouldn't be much of a problem. Replacing his infectious all-out hustle, however, is more of a concern. Hopefully, Pence can return about 2 weeks into the regular season.
Yeah. I'm not too concerned about Pence. I think as long as he comes back strong, we will be ok. We can probably tank the beginning of the season and rebound.

I agree that those whole Panda gap has me a little worried.

Oh, and welcome back! Gearing up for a new season!
Originally posted by madbuster:
Yeah. I'm not too concerned about Pence. I think as long as he comes back strong, we will be ok. We can probably tank the beginning of the season and rebound.

I agree that those whole Panda gap has me a little worried.

Oh, and welcome back! Gearing up for a new season!

Same here. How do you think that Will Ferrell guy looked for the Giants?
The title made me laugh, but interesting read.

Bumgarner chops down trees to avoid 'sissy hands'
http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/bumgarner-chops-down-trees-avoid-sissy-hands
Would like to see Duffy make the roster.... The bench is so thin and without much power and keeping Adrianza simply because he's out of options doesn't excite me much.... Giants have looked fairly listless this spring but they have earned some slack.... Saw Lincecum pitch Saturday and while his numbers looked good at the end, the performance didn't match.... A lot of loud outs against mostly minor leaguers and no strike outs.... There is not a guy people want to see be successful more than Lincecum.... Guy is still almost a cult hero.... Hate how it's gone downhill for him.... It would great to see him find some of that old magic.... And velocity.... Here's to hoping....
I think we have proven that we can move forward without Lincecum. This will be a prove it year for him I think. I doubt we will put him in many more must win situations anymore. If he gradually earns that right, then great. If not, I think we are ok.
Just read a very interesting article written by Ray Ratto in which he noted the Giants doubled in value last year - the team is now worth 2 BILLION dollars! Yet as noted in previous posts ownership/management did very little to improve the team's chances for this upcoming season.In fact this years team is substantially less impressive then the teams that won those championships. I guess the team figures (probably correctly so) that they can rest on their 3 prior championships - to heck with how other teams have improved! They figure us loyal Giants fans will show up to Mays Park no matter what product is put on the field! As a smokescreen excuse the Giants use the the salary cap as a reason for their poor off-season improvements. They failed to compete with other teams when it came to signing potential star players from Cuba and other Latin American players. I repeat the team is valued at 2 billion dollars! As for myself, I will not attend as many games as I normally do this season simply to go to our beautiful ballpark. I will not be fooled that this version of the Giants (the worst Giants team since 2009) will be able to compete in the NL West, let alone defend their championship.
Look I understand that to ownership this is a business and I am glad the team has DOUBLED in value. However, I also believe owning a ball club is a public trust to to the city and loyal Giants fans everywhere. The Giants refusal to spend enough money to compete this year is a violation of that public trust and a betrayal of the Giants players who have and no doubt will continue to play their butts off. The club mantra is simple - we gave you (the fans) 3 championships in 5 years enjoy those memories. I am glad I have DVR all the important games form those 3 fabulous years. I fear when I want my Giants fix this season I will spend most (if not all) of my leisure time watching those games - rather than watching the current team finish out of the playoff hunt this season simply because ownership (worth 2 billion dollars) let us all down.
The value is probably based on the 3 WSs and not the current state of the team. After all, no real games have been played yet. We don't know how this team will do when it counts. They may be better than people think. Who knows?

I think their ability to win 3 of the last 5 championships is worth the benefit of the doubt for now. Especially after last season. Shoot, at this point, if they want to take every other year off, be my guest.
[ Edited by GiantsFan on Mar 29, 2015 at 1:04 AM ]