There are 3 users in the forums

If Uribe Doesn't come Back

Although, Uribe says he wanted to come back, he also recently seemed to show interest in seeing what he is worth. So, although the Giants are trying to get him to come back as a super utility guy, he might want a starting spot. With the Giants still having Rent, it is unlikely he will get that, unless we don't sign a 3rd baseman (moving Pablo to 1st), then they might sign Uribe for 3rd. But he might grab a good deal by the time the Giants decide what they are going to do about that position. So, I see it is unlikely he will be back.

So, then I see some changes happening in the utility spot. Hopefully Rent's terrible 2009 season was due too him being really hurt, and he will come back in 2010 and perform well for us. So, we would still need a backup SS/2nd/3rd player. Richie is gone, and I don't see burrass, frandsen, playing for us much if at all in 2010. Velez might, or play in the outfield.

How about Omar ? He's not returning to the Rangers, so if we need a backup he might do, he played SS, 3rd, and 2nd for Texas. Just a wild thought.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...he-GM-meetings
i hope we find a way to bring uribe back
he was a huge surprise

and omar? nah..hes amazinig defense..but no hitting and thats what we need the most

omar can coach :)
Well, again if we can get him, back, that's great, but if not then someone needs to be backup. Omar actually had a decent season as a backup with TX. And then, he can retire, and coach us to a WS. So, give me a back up, if it is not going to be Uribe. I want the name now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can we add pics to our profile ?
Sabean said in an interview on MLB.com or something that Uribe wants too much money and he probably won't be back.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Sabean said in an interview on MLB.com or something that Uribe wants too much money and he probably won't be back.

Yep, it seems he won't be back, nor penny. So, we need a backup, that won't cost us much. I just hope Rent, was really hurt, and he does not just suck. If he can come back, and not play hurt, perhaps he can produce, that's what I'm hoping for. Hopefully we will find out in early spring training, and make a decision if Rent will be the starter or not. Either way, I'm for Omar for backup infielder.
  • LUser
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Uriibe has a lot of competition out there and teams aren't going to rush to sign a guy who was non-tendered the previous off season.

I say sign him.

By Tom Singer / MLB.com

11/13/09 10:00 AM EST

In an offseason players' market that overall is being portrayed as bland, the hot corner stands out as a hot iron, waiting to be struck by teams looking to upgrade at third base.

A trio of All-Stars. Two anchors on three-time division champions. Two former home run kings. A versatile spark plug much in demand at the last non-waiver Trade Deadline. A one-time World Series MVP.

And if those practicing third basemen aren't enough, consider the high-profile veteran middle infielders who could be deemed to be prime candidates for a Cal Ripken-style late-career shift to third.

Seeking a tip-off on the available talent, one need only look to Philadelphia, where the Phillies chose to decline their 2010 option on the incumbent Pedro Feliz.

That move surprised many, but Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. rationalized it by calling third base "the only spot where we felt we could make a change and do something different."

That tells you all you need to know about the supply -- even before factoring in such trade possibilities as Colorado's Garrett Atkins and perhaps Boston's Mike Lowell.

Feliz, a terrific fielder who seems to do most of his limited offensive damage in the clutch, thus was thrown right into the forefront of the mix.

COUNTDOWN
TO FREE AGENCY
• Catchers
• First basemen
• Second basemen
• Shortstops
• Third basemen
• Outfielders
• Starting pitchers
• Relievers/Closers
Under the brightest spotlight is the Angels' Chone Figgins, considered among the top "gets" in the entire free-agent pool. His quickness afield and leadoff prowess at the plate make him the type of unique double threat that clubs crave.

Being versatile should only expand Figgins' options and his market. He settled into being the Angels' primary third baseman the past three seasons but has also seen extensive action at second base and in the outfield.

"Obviously, Chone is an outstanding athlete, and you have to assume he has a lot of suitors," Amaro has said. "But we're keeping our eyes and ears open."

Among the free-agent third basemen, Figgins is the only one rated Type A by the Elias Sports Bureau.

Melvin Mora, one of four rated Type B, shares Figgins' past and versatility. The Orioles' third-base regular since 2004 has started 100-plus games at three other positions, but at 37, clearly is best suited to stay anchored at third.

The other Type Bs are Mark DeRosa, who created a stir among contenders when he was placed on the trade market in July by the Indians, who dealt him to St. Louis, and a pair of erstwhile All-Stars hoping to reclaim the headlines, Adrian Beltre and Troy Glaus.

Both seemingly have been around forever, but here's something that should excite daring GMs: Beltre and Glaus grew up on the diamond in front of our eyes, and they remain young enough to turn back the clock and turn up the volume.

Head of the class

Figgins, Type A: A corner infielder with 31 career homers? Talk about a new wave, an appealing antidote to a power-hungry era. That's not to say Figgins doesn't have gap punch -- Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder were the only others with 30-plus doubles and 100-plus walks.

Miguel Tejada, Type A: The rankings are position-specific, hence Tejada's reflects his value at shortstop, the only place he has ever played. However, at 35, there are clear indications that Tejada's best market may be as a third baseman. His power drain continued -- since 2004 he has gradually gone from 34 to 14 homers -- but he was still a .313 hitter for the Astros.

Mora, Type B: The Venezuelan with the sleepy eyes could be the sleeper of the class, a professional hitter brought out of sync by the Orioles' midseason decision to begin going young. Mora put up 23 homers and 104 RBIs as recently as 2008 and has always been a good contact hitter for someone with his pop.

Beltre, Type B: Beltre was 19 when he broke in with the Dodgers, and now is 30 as a second-time free agent. The difference is that the first time -- off his 47-homer 2004 season with the Dodgers -- his aim was to cash in. Now, after five disappointing seasons in Seattle, his goal is to regain elite status. That incentive, as much as his tools, could entice clubs.

DeRosa, Type B: Again one of the most popular players on the market, DeRosa has a versatility that especially appeals to teams that would like the flexibility of plugging him in elsewhere should someone else surface at third. DeRosa has played all over the field, with occasional flashes of power. Yet he's a low on-base percentage, high-strikeout guy coming off a contract similar to that of Feliz.

Glaus, Type B: Glaus earned the ranking, which is based on two-year numbers, despite sitting out virtually all of 2009 following shoulder surgery compounded by back problems. Yet he is still in his early 30s and has never smashed fewer than 27 homers when healthy enough to have 500 at-bats.

Feliz: Feliz has been good enough to help three teams reach the World Series (the 2002 Giants prior to the 2008 and 2009 Phillies), but he finds himself on the free-agent market for the third time. If his game doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, it doesn't have any standout characteristics, either. But you know what he'll give you -- a .260-12-60 batting card and solid defense.

Joe Crede: Crede's recovery from back surgery is said to be on track, after back problems essentially ruined his past three seasons. Before that he was a .283-30-94 rock for the White Sox. He's only 31, making him a project comparable with Beltre and Glaus.

Also on the market

Rich Aurilia (Giants), Aaron Boone (Astros), Adam Kennedy (A's), Felipe Lopez (Brewers), John McDonald (Blue Jays), Mark Loretta (Dodgers), Fernando Tatis (Mets), Chris Woodward (Red Sox)

Ready to buy

In what must be an unusual situation, four postseason teams have a hole at third base, and the Phillies, Angels, Cardinals and Twins should be the most ardent shoppers.

The Angels are prioritizing bringing back Figgins but are also watching Beltre. So are the Phillies, but topping their wish list is possibly the most popular guy in the bunch, DeRosa. The Cardinals would like DeRosa back, and the Mariners, Rangers and Orioles have also inquired. Other teams (Mariners, Royals, Marlins) are also in need of a third baseman, and even clubs set at the position -- the Red Sox and Yankees -- are in the market for someone like Figgins, whose value as a leadoff batter and experience in the outfield could motivate a team to accommodate him somehow.

Window shopping

Oakland has reached the point of not being able to count on another comeback by Eric Chavez, who is yet again trying to return from back surgery. The Blue Jays may not be totally committed to Edwin Encarnacion, who took over after Scott Rolen's midseason deal to Cincinnati. Speaking of which -- Reds GM Walt Jocketty could be looking for an alternative to make the high-priced Rolen ($11 million) expendable.
I say sign him, IF he is not too expensive. He would be good as our back up, if Rent can produce, or take over for Rent, if he doesn't.
Uribe did really well towards the end of the season, so I hope we bring him back. It'll be interesting to see what moves the Giants make the next few weeks. Hopefully we bring in the right guys to compete
It looks like Omar will sign with the White Soxs, so there goes a possible backup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...ing-veteran-SS
Originally posted by sf1giantfan:
It looks like Omar will sign with the White Soxs, so there goes a possible backup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...ing-veteran-SS

Don't we HAVE a Backup? Not sure cause I haven't been paying attention to the spot behind Renteria and Uribe, but I could swear that we had some talent behind the two. If only young inexperienced talent.

I respect Omar but if we have to pick up someone to back up the spot then how bout someone that hits better than .190 avg.?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Don't we HAVE a Backup? Not sure cause I haven't been paying attention to the spot behind Renteria and Uribe, but I could swear that we had some talent behind the two. If only young inexperienced talent.

I respect Omar but if we have to pick up someone to back up the spot then how bout someone that hits better than .190 avg.?

~Ceadder

I doubt Uribe is coming back, with other teams showing interest, and he wants more than a 1 year deal, and wants to be a starter. We have frandsen,but doubt he will be playing much with us. Burrass, sucks, and then there is velez, who can't field. Having a good defender to back up Rent would be nice.

Omar did well, in 2009. He batted .266 with the Rangers this year in a back up role. He played SS, 3rd and 2nd base. No errors (no surprise) in 63 games.

So, it looks like Uribe and Omar are not an option.
whats up with burriss...
Originally posted by Poncho707:
whats up with burriss...

He sucks!

Although he beat Frandsen last spring for the starting job, that doesn't say much. I believe he had the lowest OBP. of all 2nd basemen in the majors. He didn't field that well as well. Later, when he was sent down, he digressed even more. And then he got hurt, something broke besides his heart. So, even if he performs well, again in spring training, I don't see how management, can be fooled again.
Originally posted by sf1giantfan:
He sucks!

Although he beat Frandsen last spring for the starting job, that doesn't say much. I believe he had the lowest OBP. of all 2nd basemen in the majors. He didn't field that well as well. Later, when he was sent down, he digressed even more. And then he got hurt, something broke besides his heart. So, even if he performs well, again in spring training, I don't see how management, can be fooled again.

Burriss isn't going to just have to perform well. He will need to perform Lights out to get another shot. This will have to include showing he can walk and end up on Second on his own. He will need to not just catch everything that comes his way, he will need to show range, quickness and decision making skills he didn't show last year. The only reason he beat out Fransden was because of his average. I think it was something like .381 to .307 and Fransden didn't help himself going the final 10 games last spring with only a single.