There are 2 users in the forums

Official Giants at Athletics series thread - starts 5/21/10

Friday, May 21 - @Athletics - 7:05 pm - Zito vs Cahill
Saturday , May 22 - @Athletics - 1:00 pm - Cain vs Gonzalez
Sunday , May 23 - @Athletics - 1:05 pm - Sanchez vs Sheets
  • LUser
Wonder how many will show up for these games, and which fans will be in the majority.

The Zito start should be interesting.
That is so it!!! Fire Bochy dammit!!! There is absolutely no excuse for this level of production. And why the hell was Zito on the mound into the 6th? How freakin Bush League can you get. I understand letting a guy work himself out of jams but 6 runs allowed? He should have been off the Bump by the 3rd or 4th run.

~Ceadder
Well 2 games, 2 runs. Awesome offense.
They truly need some offense! Bring up Posey!
We need more Offense than what Posey brings by himself. This is just pathetic.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Dapro:
They truly need some offense! Bring up Posey!

The DH, made it worse for us. One extra hitter should mean more hits, not less.
  • LUser
Originally posted by sf1giantfan:
The DH, made it worse for us. One extra hitter should mean more hits, not less.

The irony here is obvious, The DH is actually an extra spot in the order not really an extra hitter.

Cain may have had more hits than the DH.
Originally posted by LUser:
The irony here is obvious, The DH is actually an extra spot in the order not really an extra hitter.

Cain may have had more hits than the DH.

Wouldn't have made a difference one way or the other. Boch has to mess with the lineup 10 ways from Sunday and it's killing any kind of consistency because the hitters start forcing things. They see a good pitch and are so amped they get grapefruit eyed and make shoddy contact.

Boch needs to stop micro managing this team to death. Also he needs to figure out the guys that need to be the day to day Starters from the musical chairs platoon. We're half way through May already and he STILL hasn't settled on someone. Get Nate back in at Right and leave him there put Torres in Left and Rowand at Center. Then when Rowand needs a day, Torres to Center and Bowker to Left as well as PH assignment.

Get Velez back up and put him at 2nd/SS so he can get time on the field and put Sanchez and Uribe as starters. We don't NEED twelve Pitchers if Boch would pull his Ginormous head out of his sphincter and settle on the starters so they can go in and do what they know how to do. We have Huff and Panda on the Corners. If and when DeRosa comes back deal with it then.

I believe in the Rightie Leftie order but Boch is way over thinking this and it's killing any Offense this team has in it.

~Ceadder
They are talking about moving Rowand back down in the order but even if that works (which it probably won't bc Rowand has hit like crap for the last 10 games) its a band-aid on a bullet wound.

I think bringing up Posey and Brouchard (who was playing lights out at Fresno last time I checked) and keeping a consistent lineup when they get up here is a viable option. It might not work but at this point an option is better than wasting quality starts and being out of any game where your pitchers give up 3 runs.
Posey is probably not an option. We have Molina and Whiteside when he's contributing makes it hard to set him down.

And are you kidding? We already have a deep outfield. Velez can play outfield and play in the middle infield. Can't really send Ishi down even though I would like to see that because Huff is no spring chicken. Have to keep him fresh. But we've taken some injuries to the middle infield and there is no telling if Uribe and Sanchez can remain healthy. I think that if Rowand wasn't shackled to this team with that contract we COULD bring BOchard up and put him in Left and Torres to Center. But see this is the problem with Gigantes fans. Soon as the offseason happens we want the best signing we can get regardless of age and what they want. Rowand can still range out there in Center but the contract is not befitting his at the plate production. Which was why he was signed to begin with. But then we have fans that want us to get all the young guys out there during the season. How bout instead of signing these RIDICULOUS contracts we bring up the young guys and suffer through it. We HAVE the freakin pitching staff to do just that. But never fails every year it seems that Sabes listens more to the fans than he does the purist who is staunchly in favor of bringing up talent from within.

As you said moving Rowand won't make a damn bit of difference.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Operating_Thetan:
They are talking about moving Rowand back down in the order but even if that works (which it probably won't bc Rowand has hit like crap for the last 10 games) its a band-aid on a bullet wound.

I think bringing up Posey and Brouchard (who was playing lights out at Fresno last time I checked) and keeping a consistent lineup when they get up here is a viable option. It might not work but at this point an option is better than wasting quality starts and being out of any game where your pitchers give up 3 runs.

I remember back when Bonds first got hurt. 2003 or 4. and began missing what would be a large chunk of the season. We couldn't wait until we began bringing up our minor leaguers to start playing and developing. Problem then and problem now is the idiot at the controls of this team. Sabean, as we all know, is out of touch with the player today and is consistantly refusing the advice of his scouts to go after a Major League name he remembers. Wellemeyer, Zito, Rowand, Renteria, Molina (to a certain extent the exception to the rule) are offered contracts due to a single play or day that sticks in Sabean's demented mind.

Although I agree with keeping Posey down in the Minors for this year, Why are we forced to endure playing the contract instead of the player. Too often we are told, we must endure so and so player because of his contract because they give us the best chance to win today. The team has put together 5 of the 9 pieces we need on the pitching staff and 1 of the 8 we need on the field. 2 at the most if you count Franchez. The rest of this team is held bondage to the contracts that have been handed out to a good bunch of average players.

At what point, in a season that we should be competitive, do we abandon the current philiosophy, and begin to assemble the team of the future?
Let's really take a good honest look here. At least in my view, bringing up Posey will not help. Trading for Prince will not do it either. What is happening is deeper, and will not change until the players see it happen. Getting rid of our leader will do it. Or at least our manager on the field. But Sabean won't let bochy go, because it would be a reflection of him as well. It was a mistake to rehire both, but having bochy lead this team of misfits was the bigger mistake. Someone who can light a fire under guys when they are struggling, make decent batting lineups, and not being stuck on one player just because he had a great game last year. Not someone who holds back our youth, and actually gives them a chance to prove them selfs. Keeping the same leadership, will keep us from improving. Bringing up Posey some will think will give us a spark, but we need something more, we need a fire, a fire that will change the direction of this sinking team.

This is my view, and I'm right.
At this point a trade for a guy like Carl Crawford would be a smart move IMO. Lead off hitter who can steal bases pretty much at will. He is a FA after this season and even though TB is #1 in the league right now I think they might be aware of their financial limitations. The question is would SF be willing to give up Sanchez? Bc i figure that + one or two B-level prospects is what it would take.
Originally posted by sf1giantfan:
Let's really take a good honest look here. At least in my view, bringing up Posey will not help. Trading for Prince will not do it either. What is happening is deeper, and will not change until the players see it happen. Getting rid of our leader will do it. Or at least our manager on the field. But Sabean won't let bochy go, because it would be a reflection of him as well. It was a mistake to rehire both, but having bochy lead this team of misfits was the bigger mistake. Someone who can light a fire under guys when they are struggling, make decent batting lineups, and not being stuck on one player just because he had a great game last year. Not someone who holds back our youth, and actually gives them a chance to prove them selfs. Keeping the same leadership, will keep us from improving. Bringing up Posey some will think will give us a spark, but we need something more, we need a fire, a fire that will change the direction of this sinking team.

This is my view, and I'm right.

This I agree with. Our problems start with Sabean and continue with Bochy. The philosophy of the two is wrong for this club. In August, I get to meet with our new Majority Owner (High School Reunion). I hope he makes the mistake of asking me what I think.