There are 2 users in the forums

Series Thread: San Francisco (58-47) at Houston (52-53)

Ugh so pissed, Cain shoulda been taken out earlier
I love cain just as much as anyone else, but he is givin a oppertunity to go out and pitch in the 8th with a high pitch count, gives up a triple with 2 out(I thought for sure they would pull him) then gives up a single rbi. IMO even though he did get the last out you have to pull him after the triple
Should not have lost this game. I'm sick and tired of Rowand. That guy hasn't come up with ANY clutch hits for us this entire season.
cain didnt have his best stuff but this gm was very winnable and no thanks to leaving the bases loaded and that fat pos molina hitting cleanup. the only damn team that would have molina hitting cleanup
Originally posted by JMC52:
I love cain just as much as anyone else, but he is givin a oppertunity to go out and pitch in the 8th with a high pitch count, gives up a triple with 2 out(I thought for sure they would pull him) then gives up a single rbi. IMO even though he did get the last out you have to pull him after the triple

He gave up a triple. Big ****ing deal. He is still far better than any relief pitcher we have to come in there. He was still throwing well and his pitch count wasnt that out of control. The mistake that Bochy made in my opinion was not bringing a RP in ( tell me who would u trust there more than Cain??) but in pitching to Lee rather than Tejada.

You are just second guessing. If you really feel that.. post it before the hit and not afterward.
Frustrating as hell, but I'm not blaming anybody for this one. Just one of those games. Velez got the hit yesterday, couldn't get it today in the clutch situation -- can't fault him. I thought Cain threw well, a couple long balls.

Have to let it go and bounce back.
On the road, we need to come up with those clutch hits to score more runs.
I love cain to death, when he loses it pisses me off more than anything cause dude had it soo rough for the last 2 years! I want nothing but success for the guy EVERY START! Oh well, this one stings, we need to get better on the road! On the bright side Cain had no walks! Carlos Lee owned Cain too!
Ok, so we need to win the next 2 and this loss will be forgotten. We rocked the pitcher who the Astros are throwing out tomorrow so lets hope we can get some runs for Sanchez early.
Originally posted by Giantjohn:
He gave up a triple. Big ****ing deal. He is still far better than any relief pitcher we have to come in there. He was still throwing well and his pitch count wasnt that out of control. The mistake that Bochy made in my opinion was not bringing a RP in ( tell me who would u trust there more than Cain??) but in pitching to Lee rather than Tejada.

You are just second guessing. If you really feel that.. post it before the hit and not afterward.

LOL it is a big deal when A your down 1 run. B you have a high pitch count THEN they left him in to face ANOTHER guy. I dont know a whole lot about baseball but I know when you should pull someone, argue it all you like but your wronge.
Originally posted by JMC52:
LOL it is a big deal when A your down 1 run. B you have a high pitch count THEN they left him in to face ANOTHER guy. I dont know a whole lot about baseball but I know when you should pull someone, argue it all you like but your wronge.

Actually... I DO know a lot about baseball and it completely depends on the situation, the pitcher, the batter, and your bullpen. You seem to think its an absolute that the manager should pull the SP there. You are completely wrong.

I promise you that every manager in the majors goes farther with their ace pitchers. If this has been Zito or Sanchez in this situation Bochy would have pulled them. Why? Because their track record is such that it makes sense to pull them. Do you think a Halladay would be pulled in this situation for their setup up BP reliever? Hell No.

Cain is an all star and one of the top 5 pitchers in the NL this year. He pitched great, still was throwing well, and was one of out getting out of the inning. He had a RH hitter to face as well. It made all the sense in the world to leave him in as his pitch count was not over the top and Bochy wanted to not only win the game but give his star pitcher a chance to get the win as well. Now.. if the Giants had a 1 run lead I'm sure that Bochy would have brought a fresh Wilson in to get the out. But.. thats totally different.

You can say I would be wrong all you want. Having played the game for many years, coached, umpired, and followed it at every level I'm guessing I have a bit more knowledge about the game than someone who acknowledges that he doesnt know much about baseball. . However, I do know that I know less than Bochy and Righetti who were at the game and could see Cain's stuff first hand. They obviously thought that Cain still had good stuff and could get Lee out. I am not going to play the second guesser after the fact that you choose to play.
Originally posted by Maximill15:
I love cain to death, when he loses it pisses me off more than anything cause dude had it soo rough for the last 2 years! I want nothing but success for the guy EVERY START! Oh well, this one stings, we need to get better on the road! On the bright side Cain had no walks! Carlos Lee owned Cain too!

The only thing that I questioned in the 8th inning was that the Giants chose to pitch to Carlos Lee rather than Miguel Tejada. I dont know what Cain's stats are versus both of them over his career but I personally would rather not face Lee in that situation.
I wish people in these forums would say things like ... Bochy should pull Cain out NOW because he is losing his fastball and is tiring.. BEFORE he gives up the hit. I know people love to second guess everything but it truly gets so old. What is refreshing is when people can take a stand and an opinion before the fact and not after results that they dont like occur.
Well, I don't think it was the wrong call to keep Cain in...however I was thinking that we should have pinch hit for him when the bases were loaded with one out, but I wasn't upset they let him hit since I had confidence he could hit a fly ball.

However, I was pissed at them asking Cain to bunt with the bases loaded...wth were they trying to do there? Cain has the ability to get the ball to the outfield...why not just let him swing away and see what happens. Instead he already gave up 2 strikes...and then he got struck out.
I agree with Giant John

Carlos Lee already had two hits of Matt Cain and Miguel Tejada was hitless against him.

With that said both Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum have proven track records where they have been dominant in the late innings.

At least our bullpen will stay fresh because the pen will needed for the Zito, Sanchez, and the #5 starter starts.