There are 4 users in the forums

Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez

I don't get ESPN Insider but this was a quote from MLBTradeRumors.

--ESPN's Keith Law finds the Giants' trade of Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez reasonable, due to "slippage in Alderson's stuff." --
Originally posted by SFGiants55:
keep in mind Garko and Sanchez will be on the team and producing after this season. Uribe wont be back, and Ishikawa isnt nearly as offensively inclined as Garko.

both were bad trades. i wish we hadnt made them, but the numbers you posted would only be as crappy as they seem if both Garko and Sanchez were rent-a-players centered only around this season. 2 bad trades. shouldnt have been made, but to say uribe=sanchez and garko=ishikawa based on some projected 2009 stats makes the deals look way worse than they were.

I agree. That's why I said there are obvious flaws in what I did, as it doesn't factor in any other information, such as contracts, age, etc. My whole point was that, given the marginal upgrades, we could have made a package out of the players we dealt to obtain another player that would have been more of a help now and into the future.
Originally posted by SacRock14:

--ESPN's Keith Law finds the Giants' trade of Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez reasonable, due to "slippage in Alderson's stuff." --

It was interesting watching Sportcenter this morning and Peter Gammons stating he felt the Giants helped themselves more then anyone and that Brian Sabean rarely makes any mistakes. Hmmmm...
meh the deal is done, I'm over it.

lets play ball
Originally posted by NCommand:
It was interesting watching Sportcenter this morning and Peter Gammons stating he felt the Giants helped themselves more then anyone and that Brian Sabean rarely makes any mistakes. Hmmmm...

LOL Me thinks Gammons is getting just a bit scenile.

Here is my take on the trade after a night to sleep on it. I will look at this as a total WIN trade IF:

1) Sanchez is a great player for this team and the Giants make the playoffs

or

2) That doesnt happen and Sabean gets fired during the off season and replaced by someone like
Logan White

If I knew for a fact that one of those 2 things would definitley happen then I would be happy today.
After taking some time to think about the trade, I'm starting to like it. It's unfortunate that we had to trade a top prospect, but Im hoping Sanchez can help move batters.
Originally posted by Giantjohn:

Here is my take on the trade after a night to sleep on it. I will look at this as a total WIN trade IF:

or

2) That doesnt happen and Sabean gets fired during the off season and replaced by someone like
Logan White

If I knew for a fact that one of those 2 things would definitley happen then I would be happy today.

You may be right! How do you think these two additions will hit in our park? Does it suit their game?
Originally posted by SacRock14:

Same guy who ranked Alderson as the 26th ranked player in all of the minor leagues. Alderson started great this year and has slipped a bit lately. That is not uncommon for young pitchers when they get to a certain pitch count for the year. That is also why young pitchers are shut down early.

Listen.. no one is saying that Alderson is going to be a #1 ace in the majors. Also, no one is saying that Sanchez isnt an upgrade at 2b for the Giants. What is really in question is... did the Giants really need to
send a 20 year old former #1 pick ,who has pitched very well in his young career, for a guy who the Pirates really wanted to move. I would have waited until Friday right before the deadline and called the Pirates bluff. The way they are selling off the farm I would bet they would have taken less.
Originally posted by NCommand:
You may be right! How do you think these two additions will hit in our park? Does it suit their game?

It probably does suit Sanchez because he is more of a gap hitter without any home run power anyway. Garko.. not quite as confident. ATT is just not the kind of park that marginal power hitters do that well in.
Having said that, I think he will be a nice addition against LH pitching.
  • LUser
Originally posted by Giantjohn:

or

Logan White

Sabean doesn't quite make a Mea Culpa here but hints that there is risk in both deals and that the pitchers given may haunt the Giants if they develop to their full potential.

This happens probably 30-40% of the time barring injury and sometimes takes longer than projected before realization.

He's saying wait and see and our results will be able to be seen sooner and their later.

Moving talent to gain talent is a familiar act in Pittsburgh this season. In addition to moving Wilson to the Mariners, the club later traded Sanchez to the Giants for right-handed pitcher Tim Alderson.

The addition of Sanchez's bat complements the offensive prowess of newly acquired first baseman Ryan Garko from the Indians. The Giants are in second place in the National League West and trail the first-place Dodgers by 7 1/2 games. San Francisco leads Colorado in the NL Wild Card standings by a half-game.

"To think that we got two players of this caliber for two Minor League pitchers -- albeit they're probably going to pitch in the big leagues -- we're very fortunate," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said.

Sanchez's $8.1 million option for 2010 becomes guaranteed if he reaches 600 plate appearances. He currently sits at 382. Sabean said he expects Sanchez to be with the Giants in 2010.

"I'm not saying I can come in here and be a savior and hit .300 or .400," Sanchez said. "I'll tell you this: There won't be any plays where I'm not giving 100 percent."

Trading Sanchez and Wilson was not a complete surprise. The Pirates cut off contract talks with the players after the pair rejected offers to extend their contracts and the Pirates rejected Sanchez's counter-offer.

Last week, the Pirates traded first baseman Adam LaRoche to Boston for Minor League pitcher Hunter Strickland and shortstop Argenis Diaz. Earlier this summer, the club sent Nate McLouth to Atlanta and Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett to Washington.

"[The Mariners] were reluctant to talk about a number of players that we got back in this situation," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said, pointing to the inclusion of Clement. "But at the end of the day, they realized they're getting two good players. They need to give up talent to get talent."
Fianlly an article that I feel is how most of us on here are feeling.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/ml...arnes-alderson
First I'm not defending the trade. Who knows what could have been had for Tim Alderson

But

Someone from the SF Giants Message Board posted what Keith Law wrote from ESPN Insider on the Alderson for Sanchez trade. This may give people insight why Sabean was quick to pull the trigger on Tim Alderson.

"In exchange, the Pirates get former first-round pick Tim Alderson, a right-hander whose stuff has slipped since the Giants took him out of Horizon High School in Scottsdale, Ariz. Alderson, pitching in AA at age 20 this year, has plus command and a feel for pitching but has lost some velocity on both his fastball and breaking ball this year. His fastball is at 87-90 mph, while he'd been 90-92 or even 90-94 in the past, and his curve, once an above-average pitch with tight rotation, is slower and less tight in the mid- to upper-70s, although it still has good depth.

He rarely threw a changeup as an amateur, but it's now a usable pitch for him and he's been just as effective against left-handed hitters as he has against right-handed hitters (with just two points of OPS separating his splits vs. lefties and righties). He still has a rough delivery and lands on a very stiff front leg, but commands all his pitches well despite the extra ffort. At 6-foot-6, 217 pounds, he has room to fill out and recover the velocity he showed in high school, and his command and feel should help his stuff play up, but right now none of his pitches grades out as above average, and he projects as just a fourth or fifth starter in the majors.

Six months or a year ago this would have seemed like an insanely high price to pay for a year and a half of Freddy Sanchez, but the slippage in Alderson's stuff since he signed has pushed him down the Giants' prospect depth chart and it's not an unreasonable trade."

Along with one GM calling Alderson overrated, looks like most on this board were overvaluing him. As one poster already mentioned, we have Timmy, Cain and Zito locked leaving a slew of prospects to fill in the last 2 holes. The Giants know how to develop arms. There will be plenty more Alderson's to come.
Well the trade is done. We just need to move forward and hope that Freddy and Garko can put up some hits for us
  • LUser
Originally posted by SanDiegoGiant:
Fianlly an article that I feel is how most of us on here are feeling.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/ml...arnes-alderson

The comments to the blog are a lot of what been said here too.

As fars as Sabean's contract, and Garko's shot at everyday play.

Good to know the material contributions here are sound and updates much more frequently.

Keep it going guys.
Originally posted by GiantDave:
First I'm not defending the trade. Who knows what could have been had for Tim Alderson

But

Someone from the SF Giants Message Board posted what Keith Law wrote from ESPN Insider on the Alderson for Sanchez trade. This may give people insight why Sabean was quick to pull the trigger on Tim Alderson.

"In exchange, the Pirates get former first-round pick Tim Alderson, a right-hander whose stuff has slipped since the Giants took him out of Horizon High School in Scottsdale, Ariz. Alderson, pitching in AA at age 20 this year, has plus command and a feel for pitching but has lost some velocity on both his fastball and breaking ball this year. His fastball is at 87-90 mph, while he'd been 90-92 or even 90-94 in the past, and his curve, once an above-average pitch with tight rotation, is slower and less tight in the mid- to upper-70s, although it still has good depth.

He rarely threw a changeup as an amateur, but it's now a usable pitch for him and he's been just as effective against left-handed hitters as he has against right-handed hitters (with just two points of OPS separating his splits vs. lefties and righties). He still has a rough delivery and lands on a very stiff front leg, but commands all his pitches well despite the extra ffort. At 6-foot-6, 217 pounds, he has room to fill out and recover the velocity he showed in high school, and his command and feel should help his stuff play up, but right now none of his pitches grades out as above average, and he projects as just a fourth or fifth starter in the majors.

Six months or a year ago this would have seemed like an insanely high price to pay for a year and a half of Freddy Sanchez, but the slippage in Alderson's stuff since he signed has pushed him down the Giants' prospect depth chart and it's not an unreasonable trade."

Along with one GM calling Alderson overrated, looks like most on this board were overvaluing him. As one poster already mentioned, we have Timmy, Cain and Zito locked leaving a slew of prospects to fill in the last 2 holes. The Giants know how to develop arms. There will be plenty more Alderson's to come.

Good to know and if anyone has an insider password for ESPN please post anything relevant to rumors and or trades!!!!